RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB Internal SATA Solid State Drive $74.99AR Free Shipping

pcdoc

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227795

Yes, I see that it is SATA II, but if you ever thought about upgrading your server to an SSD, this is a winner. And I as write, I see it is out of stock. Seriously? Come on EggMan!

Out of stock already.

jmwills

Nice find there Average Guy!!

ikon

newegg.CA has them on sale too, so I ordered 2 :)

Well, the 2 drives came in yesterday. I shipped one back today. After using Acronis Disk Director 11 to clone my wife's HDD to it (which took 3 or 4 tries cause it kept complaining of a write error), I tried booting up her computer. It complained about needing to fix the MBR. I shut it down, then rebooted again and the BIOS couldn't find it anymore. Tried it on my computer.... nada. The thing is a paperweight, and not even a good one cause it's too light. Back to newegg it goes.

I'm working on the other one. The problem with Disk Director 11 is that it insists on dynamically resizing ALL the patitions on the drive, including the 100MB reserved one. I think that's why the first drive wanted to fix the MBR. I don't know how to get around it.

I think I'm going to do a WHS Restore to a spinning drive, then downsize the 2nd partition so it will fit on the SSD, back it up again, then see if I can restore it to the SSD.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

ikon

The plan went very well, I was able to

• restore the most recent WHS backup to her original HDD using my desktop computer
  • install the HDD into her computer
  • boot up
  • shrink C: to 100GB
  • do another backup
  • do a WHS Restore of the backup with the shrunk down C: to her new Mushkin SSD
  • replace her HDD with the new SSD
  • boot up
  • modify the registry to allow AHCI mode
  • do the SSD tweaks that apply to a single drive system from pcdocs article (thanks pcdoc; I know what has to be done, but your article is a great checklist)
  • reboot twice
  • run the Windows Experience wizard. Her Disk Score has gone up from 5.3 to 7.7 :D

Joe_Miner

I am seriously looking at this one: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820226236

Installing this weekend?

The plan went very well, I was able to

• restore the most recent WHS backup to her original HDD using my desktop computer
  • install the HDD into her computer
  • boot up
  • shrink C: to 100GB
  • do another backup
  • do a WHS Restore of the backup with the shrunk down C: to her new Mushkin SSD
  • replace her HDD with the new SSD
  • boot up
  • modify the registry to allow AHCI mode
  • do the SSD tweaks that apply to a single drive system from pcdocs article (thanks pcdoc; I know what has to be done, but your article is a great checklist)
  • reboot twice
  • run the Windows Experience wizard. Her Disk Score has gone up from 5.3 to 7.7 :D

it's always nice when a plan goes as planned ;)