RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Don W

Is my network speed normal?

timekills

Is that Canadian math? I thought 1 Byte = 8 bits. Eh?

Actually, it's normally better to count 10 bits/byte. This helps to cover overhead like checksums, padding, etc. I have used this technique for 30+ years with fantastic success. By that I mean it correlates to real world experience way more often. It's also a lot easier to calculate in your head. :)

It isn't Canadian, its metric. In the US it is 8 bits to the byte, and two nybbles per bit plus 16 ounces per MB.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

It isn't Canadian, its metric. In the US it is 8 bits to the byte, and two nybbles per bit plus 16 ounces per MB.

Metric, Canadian, is there really a difference?

timekills

Metric, Canadian, is there really a difference?

Err. Joke (hence the 16 ounces per MB making fun of the "English" system only Americans still use.)

Joe_Miner

Err. Joke (hence the 16 ounces per MB making fun of the "English" system only Americans still use.)

I was waiting for your definition of a Terabyte.

timekills

I was waiting for your definition of a Terabyte.

About 128 gallons of data. Unless you're using hard disk manufacturer math, in which case it is closer to 125.

darkside34

I truly wish there was a way to disable encryption on SMB for LAN <-> LAN traffic. The overhead that SMB imposes on networks is substantial, especially in corp. environments. Doing RAMFS (RAM to RAM) transfers on my network shows that SMB has around 30% more overhead than NFS. The most speed I could get out of a well maintained gigabit network were around 350Mbits per second, and that was after a LOT of samba tuning.

iSCSI on the other hand, is a whole 'nother bag of worms....but then most block level storage protocols are.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anyone know of a network speed analyzer? Using media center on my xbox I get the network error all the time and need to find a way to determine what is causing it. I only have one switch in the entire house so that switch (gigabit) connects the HTPC directly to the xbox.

Joe_Miner

Anyone know of a network speed analyzer? Using media center on my xbox I get the network error all the time and need to find a way to determine what is causing it. I only have one switch in the entire house so that switch (gigabit) connects the HTPC directly to the xbox.

I use Lan Speed Test -- here's an example: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3656-network-performance-microserver-to-ex-487/

ikon

You could also try jPerf. It can give you throughput measurements: i.e. how many megabits/sec. Qcheck is another one that's a bit older but is good for quick checks. It doesn't work on Win7 or later though, IIRC.l