RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Don W

Is my network speed normal?

Don W

I have a HTPC that I rip movies onto and a WHS 2011 pc that I backup onto and I get constant 25MB a second upload/download speed to my server, Is that normal? I know Gigabit Lan's max out at 125 so I thought I would have better transfer speed.

ikon

Unfortunately, you haven't provided enough info about your configuration to make any suggestions. 25MB/sec is not screaming fast by any means, but it's not awful either. After all, it is 250 Mb/sec.

jmwills

Yes, we need to know such things as routers, switches, cabling, etc and where each device sits on the LAN

pcdoc

Best to use a normal file copy to test. IF you are using backup it might be hindered by other factors. If you use something like a BD/HD movie you should see more what your network or system is capable of. Speeds can be affected the sending or receiving system/drive. I can usually see as much as 20 Meg variation from system to system but the range is always between 90-110. Try a file copy of a large file and see what you get as I suspect you have an issue somewhere as that seems very low to me.

dvn

Just a thought, but is antivirus running on either one of those systems?

Your numbers are horrible. They should be nearer 100 MB/s depending on hard drive spec and the state of your systems (busy, or not busy) if you are transferring movies rips.

Question: have you ever gotten decent transfer numbers between these systems?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

pcdoc

Just a thought, but is antivirus running on either one of those systems?

Your numbers are horrible. They should be nearer 100 MB/s depending on hard drive spec and the state of your systems (busy, or not busy) if you are transferring movies rips.

Question: have you ever gotten decent transfer numbers between these systems?

That was direct.... :D Antivirus should not cut it to 25 though but the numbers are definitively low.

jmwills

We still do not know if this is wireless, wired, etc and how many connection points there are in the LAN.

dvn
We still do not know if this is wireless, wired, etc and how many connection points there are in the LAN.

Right. And meanwhile I'm exploring ideas other than networking - things that could alone or cumulatively account for 'sub-optimal' performance.

:)

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Unfortunately, you haven't provided enough info about your configuration to make any suggestions. 25MB/sec is not screaming fast by any means, but it's not awful either. After all, it is 250 Mb/sec.

Is that Canadian math? I thought 1 Byte = 8 bits. Eh?

ikon

Is that Canadian math? I thought 1 Byte = 8 bits. Eh?

Actually, it's normally better to count 10 bits/byte. This helps to cover overhead like checksums, padding, etc. I have used this technique for 30+ years with fantastic success. By that I mean it correlates to real world experience way more often. It's also a lot easier to calculate in your head. :)