RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LGer

Install programs on WHS and run them on remote?

ikon

LOL.... I paid too much! Got a nice 5 year warranty though! It will probably be obsolete in 2! ;)

years?...... or months? :D

pcdoc

Guys.... I just installed a new 128GB SSD in my main computer and am trying to come up with ways to keep as much as possible off of it. I would install another hard drive but I have only 2 SATA ports and the other is being taken up by my DVD Player.

My question: Can I install World of Warcraft on my server and play it on my LR computer? It writes nothing to the registry. Seems that all I would need to do is to install it there. put a launcher on my LR computer, and be good to go. Nothing is that easy! :D What problems might I run into (slow, stutter, etc)?

Also..... My Print Shop program is huge. THIS probably writes to the registry. Could this be installed on my LR computer but told to install it's files on the server? Again.... What problems might I run into (if it can even be done)?

Thanks all! As you can probably tell I am new to this networking/server thing so PLEASE :wacko: answer in childspeak. I know computers well BUT when it comes to this I feel like a complete newb!

Not including games, just about any software can be installed on the SSD without to much concern. The issue with programs like Print Shop (which really is not huge), are temp locations that need to be moved to spindle drive. As for adding a another drive, I would add another drive to you existing sata connection and move the DVD to a USB connector as it not used as often. You should be able to find an adapter that will let you do that.

PS: Make sure you do at least some of the optimization if this article: http://thedocsworld.net/ssd-setup-and-optimizing/

fredp1

I've seen some sites implement TS RemoteApp successfully, running a remote app locally.

Here is a link that might help, its a step by step guide from Microsoft.

http://technet.micro...y/cc730673.aspx

ikon

I've seen some sites implement TS RemoteApp successfully, running a remote app locally.

Here is a link that might help, its a step by step guide from Microsoft.

http://technet.micro...y/cc730673.aspx

But the apps don't run locally as I understand it. The whole idea of TS RemoteApp is that the programs runs on the server and the client device is just a terminal. Is there something I'm missing?

fredp1

But the apps don't run locally as I understand it. The whole idea of TS RemoteApp is that the programs runs on the server and the client device is just a terminal. Is there something I'm missing?

Correct, the app runs on the server, but appears to be running locally.

LGer-

Applications can be installed on a Server.

Without TS RemoteApp, you would need to rdp (by using mstsc.exe) to the server, get the server desktop in a window and run the application from the server desktop.

With a published TS RemoteApp, the application runs in a window on your local workstation allowing simpler interaction with other windows/apps.

As long as you have a network connection, very little local cpu resources is needed. If you have a low spec client, like a thin client, then this would be a good way to deploy apps for that enviroment.

I'm not sure I would like to install apps on my WHS2011 server.

I don't have any experience in the pro's and cons, but if I was in a corporate enviroment I would look at using TS RemoteApps to publish/run applications.

Imagine the time saving of installing a app once on a server rather than on every workstation. Please note that the app must work in a TS (terminal Server) enviroment.

jmwills

Look into SBS Premium for example. You get not only the OS, but also licenses to run a standalone SQL box and a Terminal Server. All of the heavy lifting for the programs is done on the SQL and TS boxes while the SBS box runs Exchange, SharePoint, and File Services.

In my humble opinion, SBS is one of if not the best product M$ offers.

LGer

Guys.... Just wanted to get back with you to thank you all very much. I took the easy way out (for now) and cut a hole in my back plate and ran an eSata to sata cable through it. I completely forgot about the eSata out port back there. Once I looked at THIS :blink: "http://technet.micro...y/cc730673.aspx" I decided that what I wanted to do was WAY over my head.

For now I will just use the server as a back-up device and as a music server to my Squeezeboxes. I will continue to check out the other suggestions and monitor this forum for additional ideas on getting the most out of my server.

BTW..... I am SO happy to have found this forum! I was on a different forum and felt VASTLY inferior (like I shouldn't be there). I still am :D but at least you guys make me feel comfortable and aren't pushing $30 books!

Thank you!

Leon

ikon

Well, if no one has said it yet, welcome to the forums. For me, this is a community; a community of tech enthusiasts, who are here to help and encourage each other.

LGer

Thank you ikon! I am a self-taught geek and I appreciate the welcome, help, AND encouragement! May God bless you my friend!

Leon

jmwills

Good guys all around here...even the Canucks!! :D