RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Install programs on WHS and run them on remote?

LGer

Guys.... I just installed a new 128GB SSD in my main computer and am trying to come up with ways to keep as much as possible off of it. I would install another hard drive but I have only 2 SATA ports and the other is being taken up by my DVD Player.

My question: Can I install World of Warcraft on my server and play it on my LR computer? It writes nothing to the registry. Seems that all I would need to do is to install it there. put a launcher on my LR computer, and be good to go. Nothing is that easy! :D What problems might I run into (slow, stutter, etc)?

Also..... My Print Shop program is huge. THIS probably writes to the registry. Could this be installed on my LR computer but told to install it's files on the server? Again.... What problems might I run into (if it can even be done)?

Thanks all! As you can probably tell I am new to this networking/server thing so PLEASE :wacko: answer in childspeak. I know computers well BUT when it comes to this I feel like a complete newb!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• fredp1

• LGer

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're barking up a pretty tall tree. I would consider installing a PCIe SATA card in your main computer, one that has internal SATA ports. Then, add a second, spinning, drive to your computer to hold your large programs and your data.

What you might gain from installing on the server's SSD drive, will be lost in latency over the network, IMO.

Thank you! This is what I wanted to know. My MB is a mini ITX, has one PCI slot, but the case has no outlet point..... I actually have a SATA card in storage but no PCIe slot to install it to. I would LOVE to put that baby in there but .....

I appreciate your telling me that I am heading for problems SO what I think that I will do is to remove the DVD (can use USB and make it external) and install a mechanical drive in it's place. You have probably saved me a TON of headaches.... THANK YOU!

I am curious though.... When I think of a server I think of schools and hospitals where everyone connected shares the same program/database. This must be special software written for that purpose.....Am I correct? THIS is kind of what I was trying to do with my programs.

No special software and several different ways to do it. One is to create a shortcut to the excuteable in the server on the folder. Map a drive from the local to the server where that .exe file lives and with a little tweaking you can run it with no issue.

However, serving data files and running programs are two different cats. Do you really want to risk your server for this experiment? This is why a lot of the guys run test bed virtual machines; not saying your idea is wrong, just a little risky.

Microsoft does have a product for this. I forget its name but there is a thread about it on these forums. It basically allows users to use any properly set up computer to connect to their profile on the network and run applications. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do recall that it requires a Windows Domain to function, so it's quite a bit more complex than a regular desktop computer.

Thanks guys - sounds like it's not worth the trouble. I bought the SSD for Faaaaast speeds! I will install a HD to my LR machine. Another "BRILLIANT" idea shot down! :D I appreciate the replies! Now I KNOW!

God bless!

Leon

Lots of deals on SSD drives lately. Basically, if you are paying more than ~ $0.80/gig, you're paying too much. Most 128 gig drives can be had for around $90 these days.