RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Trouble During Restore

awraynor

I am attempting to restore my desktop, but I keep getting an unknown network error during various parts of multiple restore attempts. I have an EX495 that is recognized, the backup begins, but it fails before the restore completes.

Any ideas?

I get "unknown network error" at different phases of the restore. Sometimes at the password prompt, sometimes during the actual restore process. It is a 64bit HP desktop, but the restore of a 32bit install.

HI John,

It doesn't sound like that is the problem. It sounds like he having a failed restore from a lost network connection. I would suggest downloading the new Vista 32bit (and or try XP 32bit) drivers for the NIC card on the client and load those drivers during the Detecting Hardware part of the Restore and see if that doesn't fix it.

fasthair

It's a generic d-link card, but I will try to find the drivers and go from there. It will start an actual restore, but the connection gets lost during the process, unfortunately. Had a brand new 64 bit install running, didn't see the advantage over my 32 bit and went to go back to it. Should have left well enough alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit Just in case you care.

Personally I feel that 64bit is the way of the future so I use it. You can tell a difference when using 64bit apps vs.. the 32bit option. Plus I run so many programs at one time that I really do need all the extra memory (8gig in this PC) and all the virtual machines I run at one time. Right now I have three running VMs plus Media Center watching TV, a bunch of browser tabs open and I don

You definetly need drivers for what I assuming is a 1 gig adaptor card (DGE-530T or equiv). I do not believe that card works on the native drivers. I had to install drivers from dlink when I had one in my server. As for your 64 vs 32 debate, I have both but on the desktop I will never go back to 32 bit. I run 12 gigs of RAM and routinely have a dozen apps open including multiple 32 bit apps. I also find the stabilty to be better than the 32. Your right, you should have left it alone... Good luck and let us know how you do.

Don't understand it, but the restore of the 64bit install worked perfectly? I'll stick with it, now to reupload all the data to Picasa and Crashplan.