RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Release Preview Apps Still Disappointing

gcoupe

I must admit, since Windows 8 is going to be RTM in October 2012, I was expecting the Microsoft Metro Apps in the Release Preview to be more fully functional than they are. To my mind, they are still little better than toy demos. Yes, I know that they are still labeled "Previews", but there's precious little time left before October, and an enormous amount of functional ground left to cover.

I don't think there's a single app that I would use in preference to my old Desktop tools. That's a worry.

As much as I would love to rant on Windows 8, I will withhold my tongue and merely agree with you. The whole Metro experience, in my opinion, is still in its infancy and has much growing room and many pains to go through. Here's hoping the MS will graduate their Metro infant to at least a toddler before release but I am not holding my breath.

The exterior appearances of the apps I looked at (news, weather, sports) are still just as bland as ever but the content inside was nice. Can't remember how much it changed but this whole experience appears to be disappointing. There is no way on this earth, an enterprise operation can migrate to this, NONE. And maybe that is the plan, for this to be a consumer release only.

It is nice to find that once you log in, all of your "Live" data is there waiting for you which is very nice. All in all, I don't see much improvement from the Consumer Preview.

Tough love baby...tough baby. As a pure operating system, it's great. Fast with some slick new recovery features. I installed some very obscure programs without a hitch. Just not feeling the Metro Love,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I won't be upgrading from Win7.

I don't like Metro. The rest is just "meh!"

MS needs to pull off something really spectacular between now and release.

Right there with you Mr_Smartepants. Nothing I have seen in Win8 makes me want to "upgrade". I hate the Metro style and feel it should be renamed from Metro to Retro. It just has a feel of something from the 1990's to me. I will go even further and say that not only do I not like the Metro style for the desktop (actually hate it), but I don't like it for a tablet. They have a lot of work to do IMO is they don't want this to look dated when compared to what Apple and Android are offering.

On the one hand, I have no faith that they will make spectacular changes before this hits the market, but on the other hand I can't image them trying to sell it in the current form.

I agree. I love Metro but only on a tablet not a desktop. For a new user it will be great on a desktop however the power user will not be happy. Not very easy to launch 10 application or folder windoes as it is in Win 7. I will upgrade at least one machine but will hold off on my main machine till things get a bit better. For starters, the apps are still pretty bad and need work for a desktop.

As well as the fact that the Metro Apps are severely limited in function, I'm coming across some other aspects that I find worrisome.

For example, the Metro Photo App apparently cannot work with photos that are held on your WHS, even when the location is defined as a Library location in Windows 8. That little factoid emerged in this thread on the Microsoft Answers forum. Analy Otero, a Microsoft employee who worked on the Windows Live Photo Gallery product, and who now works on the Metro Photo App team, suggests installing the SkyDrive client software on your WHS as a workaround. Of course, Microsoft don't support the client running on WHS, so this is an AYOR kludge.

It's also curious that the Photo App can't deal with media Libraries containing WHS locations, while the Music App can...