RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

System Volume Information Folder?

N_Nescio

Since I use WHS 2011, my usual procedure when installing Windows 7 on client computers is to set the System Restore slider to 1% (the lowest it will go), then disable all System Restore functionality, and delete any restore points. I just noticed that on my clients, the SVI folder is full of large files going back over a week. On another client, they go back about 2 weeks (these computers have been in use for a couple years). On the SSD's (60 GB) the files are about 320MB each (1%?), and on large storage volumes (500GB) they are 2.92GB. What are these? Are they a part of WHS? I thought all backups resided on the server? Is it possible to stop this behavior?

Thanks,

NN

Well, I managed to manually solve the problem by setting the permissions on that folder to full control, adding the Administrators group, unchecking 'Read Only', merging a 'Take Ownership' reg file and using that, and then 'shredding' with SlimCleaner. As SlimCleaner is doing it's thing, each file becomes un-hidden and then disappears. I don't know which of the above, or combo or all, does the trick, but they are gone. I kept the last two days for each drive. It has to be related to WHS Client Backup, as the creation times are when the Client Backup process kicks off at 1AM on this machine. I wish I knew how make WHS clean those up, as VSS is needed for backup...you can't turn the two services off. If the backups are stored on the server, why do the clients need to retain this data? SSD drives suffer with space issues as it is.

NN

Edited by N_Nescio