RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ex485 stopped responding, what can I do?

rothgar

I have had an ex485 for about a year now and I started doing backups in preparation for my 3.0 upgrade disk coming in the mail. I was connected via rdp to my media smart server and was backing up everything to a external USB drive connected directly to the MSS. The MSS stopped responding after a few hours of transferring music and then I got disconnected from RDP. I have rebooted the box multiple times and I can still get replies from the MSS via ping, but I cannot connect anymore via rdp or smb.

What can I do to get my device to respond again? I know I could probably do a restore from the factory disk but I am afraid of doing that since I haven't completed my backups. Can someone please help me restore functionality to my MSS or walk me through some steps I can take to backup and restore the data to my MSS?

Thanks

So, a few questions.

What happens when you try to connect through the console?
When you restarted the server, HP has built some diagnostics into the lights on the front. Are any of the lights flashing during the server startup?

Can't help with the RDP problem, but I can outline the backup procedure.

You need an extra drive (or two) big enough to hold your entire backup content. Determine the amount of space you'll need by looking in the Server Storage tab in Console and adding Shared Folders and PC Backups together. Now add your drive to your server, either internally or externally via USB or eSATA. In the Server Storage tab, add this drive by choosing 'Use this hard drive to back up files that are stored on your home server.' Once you've done that, you can back up Folder Shares as you see fit. Just go into the Computers & Backup tab and start the backup for you server name.

Now for your computer backups, or database backups as they are known. Download and install the addin, WHS BDBB. Running the addin is pretty straight-forward, so I won't go into it. Of course, choose the disk you just added as your backup destination.

Both these procedures can take some time, depending on total file size. Once you've completed these, though, you're covered.

If you go the route of server re-installation, the server should be able to rebuild the pointers (tombstones) to your folder shares. If there's a problem, you have your server backup and from there it's a simple matter of drag and drop. Concerning the backup database, simply start WHS BDBB, select your backup source, and hit restore. I've done this twice and it worked like a charm both times. Good luck.

Oh, I forgot to add, I cannot connect to the console. So really I don't think I have any options but to try and do a restore from the factory disks. I was able to pull my main storage drive and backup most of the important files to an external drive using a SATA dock. Time to break out the manual and figure out how to do a restore.