RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing WHS 2011 on 60GB SSD

Joe_Miner

• 2 months later...

Joe have you tried this approach? Was wondering how WHS sets up the "D" drive if there is just the SSD in the machine.

Yes, I wrote about it at: Installing Windows Home Server 2011 on a SSD in a HP MicroServer N40L and Installing WHS2011 on a small SSD in a MicroServer

With just the 60GB SSD in there -- because I set WindowsPartitionSize=MAX when the installer was done there was not a D: drive -- drive C took up the entire SSD. The Share Folders were on C:

The first 3TB drive I installed became the D: drive but then I assigned D: to the DrivePool -- though if I wanted I could save file/folders to D: outside of the DrivePool.

After I created the Pool Drive in DrivePool I moved the shares over to my Pool Drive J: and turned on folder duplication.

Edited by Joe_Miner

• 4 weeks later...

Joe, thanks for posting this, I installed a 128GB OCZ Vertex 3 drive in a bespoke WHS2011 I have built. Its been running on the SSD for 3 weeks now without any issues, I did have a couple of challenges to start with as I don't have an external CD drive, I had a bootable image of the WHS2011 on a USB key which I have used several times to re-build the server over the past couple of months whilst I was playing around with it before I made it my production box, needless to say that didn't work wth the 2 USB Keys in place, so I ripped a CD drive out of another PC and tried again, no luck, so back to your instructions to ensure I hadn't missed anything and then I read your note saying the file is updated with “Processed=true”, opened up the file, removed the statement and from there on worked seemlessly, thanks for adding that piece of info, probably wouldn't have checked the file had been modified.

Thanks for the feedback Dude! I felt your pain -- it took me a few attempts to figure out that little "gotcha" as I'm sure you can imagine!

Keep us updated on how things are going.

• 5 weeks later...

Joe I have been running my WHS2011 box on the SSD solution you provided for 6 weeks now and it has performed flawlessly. Listening to the Podcasts over the past 12 months I was uncertain whether I should make the move to WHS2011, but I'm pleased I did, I like the new Dashboard and I have set it up to suit my storage needs. Not having the Drive Extender technology didn't worry me, actually it simplified it for me, I have installed a RocketRaid 2720 and have set up my PC Clients back-up in a mirror as well as my Shares in a Mirror. I really like how the cabling is much tideier than conventional sata.

Joe I have been running my WHS2011 box on the SSD solution you provided for 6 weeks now and it has performed flawlessly. Listening to the Podcasts over the past 12 months I was uncertain whether I should make the move to WHS2011, but I'm pleased I did, I like the new Dashboard and I have set it up to suit my storage needs. Not having the Drive Extender technology didn't worry me, actually it simplified it for me, I have installed a RocketRaid 2720 and have set up my PC Clients back-up in a mirror as well as my Shares in a Mirror. I really like how the cabling is much tideier than conventional sata.

Thanks Dude.

Mine has been running strong also -- just checked my 60G OS drive and it has over 30G free space. What is nice is that my 2011 box has been running so well I've pretty much forgotten about it at times. I haven't moved to the serious RAID (just some messing around with SW mirrors and storage spaces) yet on any machines but some day I will.

Thanks for sharing!

Thought I'd post a picture of my WHS build and summary of the parts. One of the benefits of the Raid controller is how small the sata cables are.

I have 6 active drives (spare isn't connected) and there is a 120GB SSD in the top bay which is almost invisible.

The SSD (op system), 3TB drive back-up drive and a hot swappable drive housing for off-site back-up are connected to the mobo, the shares and PC back-ups are connected to the Raid controller in 2 separate mirrows.

The Fractal case is a beautiful case to use as a build, really impressed with the quality, I wanted a quiet case, it achieves that with the sound proofing, I also bought a silent PSU (its whiper quiet) and an aftermarket Arctic CPU cooler which is also very quiet.

I have installed Lights out, so power savings and regular back-ups are managed by it, works seemlessly all the time.

Really like WHS2011 expect I will run this for many years to come,

http://members.iinet.net.au/~paulmcdonald/WHS%202011%20Build.jpg

Here is a summary of parts and configuration.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~paulmcdonald/WHS%202011%20Details%20of%20build%20and%20configuration.jpg