RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need help replacing boot drive.

MarkJohnson

I need to remove my 120GB SATA III SSD boot drive and replace it with my 60GB SATA II SSD. Is there an easy way to clone the drive? Or will I need cloning software?

What is a compatible cloning software for whs 2011?

-=Mark=-

I need to remove my 120GB SATA III SSD boot drive and replace it with my 60GB SATA II SSD. Is there an easy way to clone the drive? Or will I need cloning software?

What is a compatible cloning software for whs 2011?

-=Mark=-

PC Doc shows how to set up a 60G OS Drive in WHS 2011 using Acronis in Running an SSD on WHS

I used Acronis 2012 to clone a 320G drive to a 256G. When it's on sale at Newegg or Fry's Acronis can be picked up pretty cheaply.

I have Acronis True Image Home 2009, but I was thinking I may need a server edition rather than a home edition, or will home editon be fine?

I could even temporarily install my Seagate drive so I can run the Seagate Woizard siftware, which is a crippled version of Acronis that has cloning features. It may be a newer version than my 2009.

Let me know if you know of the home edition working.

-=Mark=-

I have Acronis True Image Home 2009, but I was thinking I may need a server edition rather than a home edition, or will home editon be fine?

I could even temporarily install my Seagate drive so I can run the Seagate Woizard siftware, which is a crippled version of Acronis that has cloning features. It may be a newer version than my 2009.

-=Mark=-

If you are copying to an SSD, get a newer version. If you are just swapping drives your swill work fine.

Bummer, I tried to install the Seagate Disc Wizard and it said Acronis is not for Servers and I need to buy the Acronis enterprise edition.

anyone know of a server compatible cloning software for whs 2011?

-=Mark=-

You could use the built-in tools with Windows to create a VHD image and restore that image to the new drive.

-=Mark=-

Like I said in my write up at http://homeserversho...ial-m4-ssd.html that I had linked you to earlier.....

"Last December during the holidays I had purchased the Family Pack of Acronis True Image Home 2012 and had added the Plus Pack (one of those holiday rebate deals)."

That's what worked for me.

Like I said in my write up at http://homeserversho...ial-m4-ssd.html that I had linked you to earlier.....

"Last December during the holidays I had purchased the Family Pack of Acronis True Image Home 2012 and had added the Plus Pack (one of those holiday rebate deals)."

That's what worked for me.

So, then can I just remove my drive from my server and connect it to my desktop PC and clone from there?

I didn't think that was possible as the server does extra security things to the hard drive.

You could use the built-in tools with Windows to create a VHD image and restore that image to the new drive.

Is this just done with backup and restore? Is there a VHD program to be run?

Thanks for the help

-=Mark=-

So, then can I just remove my drive from my server and connect it to my desktop PC and clone from there?

I didn't think that was possible as the server does extra security things to the hard drive.

A clone is a clone. Well, ideally at least. A clone of a hard disk should be an exact copy of the original. Where it's cloned and, theoretically, what is used to do the cloning, shouldn't matter. Of course, reality has a way of screwing things up. That's why you need a clone program that's SSD-aware. With Acronis 2012, you should be good to go.

@mark...this is done from within the ComputerMgt Applet. Store the VHD on the same (a drive other than the one you intend to replace) boot from the install CD and repair an install using the VHD image.