RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
jmwills

TODAY ONLY HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Tower Server + Windows Home Server $399.99

jmwills

Newegg has the high quality HP ProLiant ML110 G7 Tower Style Server Intel Core i3-2120 Dual-Core Sandy Bridge Desktop Computer for $399.99 Free Shipping after Coupon Code: "24HRSALE530B" (Exp 5/30). Tax in most.

FREE Windows Home Server 2011 64-Bit Software with purchase

Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core Sandy Bridge; 2GB RAM; 250GB HDD; Smart Array B110i SATA RAID

(I think it was ITTOG who predicted we would soon see WHS 2011 free as a bundled deal)

ikon

(I think it was ITTOG who predicted we would soon see WHS 2011 free as a bundled deal)

Now on to where they actually pay us to take it off their hands :D

jmwills
:D

coffejor

Would this make a good NAS media server, or am I best to wait for the N40L to come back down in price? I am thinking that this may be too loud, power hungry, and overkill for something to simply serve media (music and video) and files to Plex, XBMC, and iTunes. Thoughts?

Current home setup:

-Mac Mini used as HTPC (XBMC+Plex+iTunes)

-MacBook Pro for browsing/daily use

-PC for general use

-Mac Pro for image editing/processing

-Apple TV in bedroom (XBMC+Plex)

jmwills

It's an i3 so loud or over-powered will not be an issue. Plenty of room to grow or expand,

coffejor

Thanks for the response, that does help a lot. Last question (I swear): if you were choosing between the N40L and the ML110 for an NAS media server in the environment that I described, which would you choose? (although I'm not new to IT, I am new to the homeserver realm).

Edited by coffejor

jmwills

The N40L based on its footprint. User "joe_miner" has written some very good articles on this box and has links to some overseas groups that have pushed the limits with regards to expansion and modifications.

The best advice I could give would be to try and project where you expect to be in two years with your needs and use that as your model.

coffejor

Great, thanks! Given that frame of reference, I think it will definitely be worth holding out for the N40L to go back on sale. Thanks again for the help and I'm sorry for hi-jacking your thread!

~Jordan

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Now on to where they actually pay us to take it off their hands :D

That was part two of the prediction.

ikon

That was part two of the prediction.

Exactly! :D