RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

A dumpster dive HP Pavillion a1210n, AMD 3500+ as a WHS 2011?

RoyKnapp

A newbie here asking for advice.

I never built a WHS V1 but just purchased WHS 2011 and need advice on inexpensive hardware to install it on.

I dumpster dive at this one dumpster from a small computer service store near where I live. I've pulled out over 30 PC's from their dumpster. Some are missing processors, hard drives and memory. Some are all there and boot up fine when I get them home. Most have P4 3GHz or below processors and a few have various AMD's.

I'm on a tight budget as I'm unemployed so I would like to use one of these PC's to build a WHS 2011.

Question:

Does anyone think that HP Pavillion a1210n, with a AMD 64 3500+ processor, run OK as a WHS 2011?

I can upgrade the memory to maybe 4 gig and install a 1 gig hard drive from my dumpster my diving parts.

The 1 gig HD was still under warranty, sent it in and got a replacement for free.

Thanks for any advice!

The number of PC's in the garage is out of hand so now I'm stripping down some of the lessor ones to take for recycling. I'll make a few bucks from this but not much as they pay by the pound. Power supplies will probably pay the most out of all the PC parts.

I'm enjoying the Home Server podcast on my 3 hour drives between Ocean City MD to Baltimore MD. Thanks to all for making my drive a bit easier!

Roy

1 gig HD?

As long as you are not doing anything fancy with the OS such as transcoding and ripping, that processor should be fine and throw all the memory you can at it.

If you are able to sell enough of the reclaimed units, some of the guys will occasionally sell good equipment for GOOD prices here so keep coming back.

Good luck with the job search and welcome.

Welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear your situation is so tight. But, congrats on your resourcefulness.

Your main criteria for WHS2011 is that the CPU has to be x64. I run mine on a Core 2 Duo. I suspect many of the AMD CPUs will work just fine. Obviously, don't expect too too much from it (e.g. on-the-fly video conversion/streaming), but it should work just fine for PC backups, file/photo/video storage, and serving up movies to an HTPC.

First off, thanks for listening to the podcast!

Second, let me just say that I love the fact you are not letting money get in the way of your tech adiction. When I was in college I had to scrap for every piece of tech I had. They were some lean years, but I had fun piecing systems together. It was the hunt for those parts that really made it fun! Hope things turn soon.

I would agree with ikon and jmwills above. WHS 2011 should run just fine but only use it for that purpose and try not to multi-task it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hey guys, Thanks for the replies!

Before I install WHS 2011 on the AMD 3500+, I'll see if one of the MOB's I have will accept a Core 2 Duo. If so, purchase the processor off of ebay. I think, once I install WHS 2011 on a platform I cannot change the install to a different platform. Correct?

The 1 gig HD I mentioned, is a 1 TB HD. I also have a GoFlex 2 TB USBv3 HD I can attach along with a 2 port PCI USBv3 board I purchase for $15, or maybe tear it apart and install just the drive.

Thanks again,

Roy

Yeah. I would not want to try switching from Intel to AMD or the reverse. You can change from one Intel CPU to another one or one AMD to another. Perhaps someone has switched brand successfully and will chime in.

Thanks ikon for all your advice!

Can anyone tell me if you need to enter the product code during install?

Or is there a time period, like 30 days, prior to it asking me to active it?

I would like to try a temp install and maybe mess around with it before I active it.

Yeah, you can skip the license to start and register later. But, even if you did enter it, you could still do a temp install then re-install and use the same key again.