RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore server on to new hardware

lip

Hi,

Just in preparation for this when I get my new hardware, what are the steps required to restore a backup of the server to new hardware?

My WHS2011 hardware died and I'm replacing the motherboard, CPU and memory although I will keep the same HDD's...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Unless you are switching camps AMD to Intel, you should just be able to put everything together, boot up, and have your new hardware detected, provided you did not install some weird drivers or software on your original install. I have done this a couple of times with no issues.

I second what Doc said, with the exception of a few drivers, its business as usual.

Although I'm not a huge fan of this technique, mostly because of left-over crud from the original installation, Microsoft has done an amazing job of making it work. I remember when you wouldn't even consider trying to restore a Windows backup to new hardware but, starting with XP, it started to work and has just gotten better with each release. It certainly does save an enormous amount of time and headache.

Very true....but when your only option is to get the original system operational, a new board to verify all the data is in tact is great. Then.............we can begin to think about a fresh install. That's why I image the install so I can return to that point in time for just such an occasion.

With the changes MS is making to the process with Windows 8, I'm beginning to suspect that the idea of a fresh install will become more or less meaningless - maybe not right away with Win8, but possibly down the road with Win9 or 10. Wouldn't that be great?

Very good point....haven't turned on my WIN8 box in a few weeks now. Waiting on the redux.