RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Build

jamepc

So my EX485 motherboard is toast so I need to build a WHS 2011 box.

I want a very small form factor, so I guess a micro ITX or ATX moterboard should be used.

I prefer an Intel processor and I've read that the Sandy Bridge line is good for WHS's.

I has to have USB 3.0

I dion't need RAID right now.

It's mainly used to store business files, Quickbooks company file, all our photos, and will want to stream out home movies from it.

I found a wish list at Newegg:

http://secure.newegg...Number=18915305

Don't need the RAID card, hard drive, and don't know if the cable is needed and don't think 8GB of memory is needed (is it?)

Any suggestions pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jamie

If you don't get the RAID card then you don't need the fanout cable. 4GB of RAM would likely do what you need. My main recommendation would be to ensure you have lots of backup, including offsite, especially since you're hosting business files on the server.

We do a nightly cloud backup which is why RAID isn't too important right now, but perhaps something we would add in the future.

Do you think the processor is overkill? I guess streaming our movies from the server is the only thing that would require this processor, correct?

The rest of the parts look compatible, right? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Yeah, an i3 should be good. I run my WHS2011 on an old Core 2 Duo. Mind you, I'm not using the media streaming features, and I don't do transcoding with it either. However, it does have my photos and movies and I do play the movies from it using my i5 HTPC (well, not ATM: my HTPC mobo died - waiting for the RMA).

Thanks for all the replies.

The comment above provokes (what will be to most of you) a simple question.

We store our home movies on the server and access them from other computers to watch. Is this "streaming".

If not, what would define streaming?

Thanks again.

Technically, I don't think it is. Basically, in your situation, your server is just acting as a file server. However, if you activate the WHS2011 media features to, for example, convert a movie to iPhone format/resolution on-the-fly that would be streaming. The difference is that, in the first instance, the data is simply in file format while, in the second, it has been converted to a streaming video format before it leaves the server.

Thanks for that.

Now about the build. If I select the Asus MIni ITX motherboard that in that wish list, I can get any small form factor case that's for a mini ITX MB, correct?

I've read that sometimes there are problems finding drivers for certain MB's. How do I know it won't be a problem with this one? This is just a wish list someone made on NewEgg I found. There's nothing about a successful build. And the Intel Core i3-2120T Sandy Bridge 2.6GHz LGA 1155 35W processor, lets say I got heavily into streaming and transcoding (although unlikely), what would be the next step up? This one is 35W. Do people try to stay with 35W to keep a low power "green" server?

Heavy transcoding and the like would mean a move up to an i5, Just make sure whichever CPU you choose has dedicated graphics so a secondary card will not be needed. And yes, try to stay as green as possible unless you want to do the "full Faucher".

I just noticed the dimensions of the Mini ITX case, not as mini as I thought. I guess I'm use to the HP EX475 server, now that's mini.

So I check out the Micro ATX cases and those aren't any smaller. Any ideas on a tiny form factor case? Right now out HP EX475 is on a book shelf!