RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Video stuttering

ttremeth

I have an LX197 (Same as lx195 with 1 TB drive) I have a decent gigabit switch that provides the "backbone" to my network. My media center is connected to this switch and so is the home server. Sometimes when playing from the the home server direct I get stutters and pauses. Of course playing it locally is almost perfect. The only process that has been suggested as a cause is the one that balances the drives. I have not enabled duplication on the relevant folder where the videos are.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• zeeke

• pcdoc

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you just have one drive, you couldn't enable duplication even if you wanted to ;-)
What add-ins do you have on your WHS? Do you have anything else that might be accessing the drive or cpu? Have you looked at system resources while the stuttering is happening?

I agree with usacomp2k3. Check the CPU usage when the stuttering is happening. The LX197 also only has 1GB of RAM, so that may also be an issue if you have very many Add-ins.

What are you streaming from (PC, Media Player?)and what what kind of content are you streaming, HD, WMV? Streaming off the USB drive may be a contributior but only on the highest of bit rates. Certainlly check you CPU to see if there is something in background such as antivirus that may be messing you up.

Thanks Mike, I am playing Divx media via win7 64 media center. I will need to check demigrator.exe which I found might contribute.

I'd be interested to hear if demigrator is the culprit because as AJ pointed out you are not using dup, nor do you have a 2nd drive. Without those, I don't think demigrator has a job.

@dvn: Also he mentioned duplication was off on the relevant folder, but I am interpreting that it is enabled on other shares, so demigrator could still be chugging away and messing things up. It's still worth checking out.

@ttremeth: Just clarifying, when you say "playing it locally is almost perfect" does that mean playing it on the WHS? Or copying the file to the media PC and playing from there? There are other possibilities which we can try to rule out one at a time.