RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS emergency build...

lip

I had WHS (V1) and then WHS2011 running on a Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 with AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850E with 1GB for 3 years.

The other day I couldn't connect to it and found initially that it would freeze on the bios but now I can't even get the bios to come up...I've used a different PS to make sure it wasn't that but still no bios will come up...

Thus, I'll need a new MB, CPU and memory and I need your help.

The exisitng setup was not ideal for serving HD content over the network so I'd like to improve on that.

I have 4 1TB HDD's currently with no plans on upgrading.

The mATX motherboard size is mandatory due to existing case.

I've used gigabyte for most of my MB's over the years and this was the first failure I've had (ran 3 years non-stop basically).

I'm open for other suggestions...it is used for a media server and storage unit so I only require built in graphics for the odd time I need to hook up a monitor to it.

I'd also be interested in knowing how I do the re-install of whs2011...I have the server backed up (along with all folders, etc...) on an external drive...

Thanks in advance.

LIP

Using another Gigabyte board is fine I think; that, or go with a genuine Intel mobo if you don't need any fancy features. From what I've seen/heard, the Intel mobos are very reliable/durable.

Thanks for the reply.

Could you or someone recommend some specific boards that are known to work?

The Gigabyte site is pretty terrible for trying to figure out what is a lower powered mobo suited for home network installations

I have had no issues with Gigabyte and have them in all 9 systems. As for which to get depends on you budget. They are all basically the same chipsets but scale the features. Some have reported drive issues with the new Z77 boards although I have not gotten that far. I just picked up Z77MX-D3H but have not tested it. For additional ideas, there are a ton of new builds in these forums as well.

I would the tried and true Z68 motherboard to avoid driver issues

I would use the Intel Core I5 3450

Thanks for the reply.

Could you or someone recommend some specific boards that are known to work?

The Gigabyte site is pretty terrible for trying to figure out what is a lower powered mobo suited for home network installations

I agree with pcdoc. Get one of their boards suitable for an i3 or i5, but probably avoid a Z77 for now - Joe_Miner had problems with his.

I have had no issues with Gigabyte and have them in all 9 systems. As for which to get depends on you budget. They are all basically the same chipsets but scale the features. Some have reported drive issues with the new Z77 boards although I have not gotten that far. I just picked up Z77MX-D3H but have not tested it. For additional ideas, there are a ton of new builds in these forums as well.

I would the tried and true Z68 motherboard to avoid driver issues

I would use the Intel Core I5 3450

Thanks for the reply.

The Z68 link you provide just goes to a pic....

I looked at some of the gigabyte boards based on the Z68 and the low end ones would work fine although they only have HDMI...I'll need a dsub or dvi-d instead... :-(

Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.

The Z68 link you provide just goes to a pic....

I looked at some of the gigabyte boards based on the Z68 and the low end ones would work fine although they only have HDMI...I'll need a dsub or dvi-d instead... :-(

Thanks.

Sorry, here are the real links:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116506&Tpk=N82E16819116506

The bundle you picked will also be fine it just uses the Sandy bridge instead of the new Ivy Bridge but should work great. This is what I have in my server. As for the HDMI comment, worse case, use an HDMI to DVI adapter/Cable.

Good idea about the adapter cable...

Curious about the i5 vs. i3

Again, I will not use this as a computer (only server with whs2011). However, I do stream movies (mkv container to xbox360 which usually requires the server to do the work, not the xbox360)...

Thanks.