RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migration Options V1 to V2 + Drive Extenders and Options

sixty4

I have a home built Windows Home Server Version 1. Last week the motherboard went on it and I was able to salvage the install with a new motherboard. Now I am interested in upgrading to the latest 2011 version but I am a bit concerend with the drive restrictons on the this new version. My machine has a mixed set of hard drives including 2 750GB drives, 3 500GB drives. Its about 3TB in total of drives. I am thinking that I would want to set up a new install and I have enough parts to set up a decent quad core machine. I have an extra 320GB hard drive I want to use for the OS then using a 3rd party drive extender set up my drives. I found the below article which has a few options including Drive Bender, StableBit DrivePool, DataCore. Here are my questions:

http://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/windows-home-server-2011-third-party-drive-extender-replacements/http://pricklytech.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/windows-home-server-2011-third-party-drive-extender-replacements/

1. If I buld the new machine using the 320GB hard drive can I plug my existing WHS V1 hard drives in? How would the data be organized when trying to move from Version 1 vs using a 3rd party drive extender. Is the data spread across the drive or would I find "My Pictures" to be in one folder and not spread across the 4-5 drives?

2. If I cannot simply move the hard drives to the new build then use the software drive extenders whats the best way to ensure my data stays in tact on the drive?

3. Are there any other or better options at all, specifically for drive extension - Not sure i want to look into RAID options?

How much data do you have total? Its not totally clear here, but you do have your V1 box running again with your data intact?

The article you reference is over a year old now and a few things have changed. Datacore for the most part, is out of the picture and you left with just the 2. Both have been working like crazy to get product out. Both are still pretty much still beta products with testing happening with a limited audience. I'm sure folks here will be able to weigh in on who they are using. We don't hear that much about either.

My recommendation would be to not try to take v1 drives and move them directly to a v2 box. My data is limited, so I set up a new WHS 2011 box and moved everything across the network when I was happy that it was stable. A fairly easy process but it did require that I had enough space on both sides to pull it off.

There is tons of articles and posts right here on this site to help you out. Have a search and let us know if you still have questions. I hate to reinvent the wheel.

Adding on to Jim's comments, AFAIK, you cannot actually migrate your data from v1 to 2011 on the same drives. You should have a backup plan in place in any case, so you can let 2011 reformat the drives to its liking and then restore from your backup. If you don't have a backup, I recommend you rethink your setup to include at least a main backup and an offsite backup.

@jcollison Yes my V1 box is back up and running. I have 730GB free of 3TB total. I may look into reducing the data, I had started backing DVD's up on my WHS but frankly I never watched more than 30 minutes of them in 2 years.

@ikon I have my primary desktop that has about 3TB of data in it as well, for the most part I load everything on it then have the WHS pick it up which gives me at least 2 locations. I have a few other picture folders I am considering moving over to my PlayStation (250GB). As far as offsite backup I think I may free one of the hard drives up and use it for that likely leaving it at work or something, I was using Carbonite but it took about 3-4 months at the time to move the data there.

Thank you both.

Regarding the DE replacements, I'm currently using Drive Pool and have nothing but positive things to say about it. I was convinced I would never try a third-party DE replacement, but now I'm glad that I have. Seems to be very stable and performant. (also, Drive Pool is officially out of beta)

I may free one of the hard drives up and use it for that likely leaving it at work or something,

I've done something similar. I have 2 sets of offsite drives that I rotate to work and back; works like a charm.