RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing Stablebit Scanner v2beta on WHS 2011 w a Drobo S

Ok..this is going to affect about 3 people in the world, but I am having issues with the newest Stablebit Scanner Beta Addin when using a Drobo S attached via USB 3.0 on a Buffalo PCI-E Card on a WHS 2011 box on a N40L Microserver. It seems that the services are not working correctly and the OS will hang at both start up and shut down. It also has trouble seeing the Drobo as a device.

Rich and I troubleshooted it on USB 2.0 port and that seems to work okay for both the Drobo and the Addin

Just wanted to say that if you are doing this, it can cause issues. I opened a ticket with Covecube today.

Feel free to add comments only if you actually have something to say. :)

StablebitDrobo.JPG

I have 2 StarTech USB3 PCIe cards. They're based on the Renesas drivers. They don't work well at all. Just like your situation, they often won't recognize drives. Then Joe_Miner posted a message about the Western Digital USB3 PCIe card. I ordered one and it's been working well since I installed it in my WHS2011.

That would be worth a try. These Drobos can be very picky about what they take for USB3.

Another advantage of the WD cards is they do NOT require an extra power supply from a SATA or Molex connector. Not sure how WD does it but most other cards do require it.

• 7 months later...

New to this forum so greetings:

I have the same issue with WHS 2011 using a Drobo S with the recent addition of Stablebit Scanner . The services are not working correctly and the OS will hang at both start up and shut down. It also has trouble seeing the Drobo as a device, just as jcollision has reported. I removed the Stablebit Scanner and everything works like it should. I will follow this to see if there is a fix in the near future. I certainly like the idea of a scanner for the hard drives to determine any potential faults, so I will take a wait and see approach. I hope it effects more than a handful of people, or it may not get any other attention.

Hello : I got a very quick response , will post the reply , but have not had the time to try this fix. When I do , I will post if it fixed the problem or not.

user_g.pngAlex

Product: StableBit Scanner

Topic: A problem that I'm experiencing using the product

Bob,

Can you please try to disable Direct I/O and see if that resolves the problem.

To do that you will need to set the DirectIOOverride advanced setting to False.

Instructions: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Scanner_Advanced_Settings

If this is indeed the problem, we can instruct the Scanner not to query the Drobo using Direct I/O in the future.

Thanks,

Posted on 1/3/2013 7:27:19 PM UTC

yeah, Alex is very very quick to respond to support requests. :)

(part of why I'm always pushy when people have issues with StableBit products)