RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Connecting two routers

jeffla

So I'd like to seperate my G traffic from my N traffic. Since 2 out of the 3 N adapters are 2.4Ghz only a dual band router wouldn't help. So I've come to the conclusion I'd keep my current WRT54G running tomato and connect all G devices to it. Then take a new N Tomato compatible router and connect all my 2.4 N devices to it. I understand how to connect 2 routers to share one Internet connection, but whenever I have done this, I have 2 different networks with 2 different ip address ranges. Router 1 192.168.20.1 with router 2 192.168.30.1. How can I get the home server on ......20.1 to see devices on .....30.1?

Is there a way to just have router 1 assign ......20.1 addresses and router 2 also assign .....20.1 addresses?

I am 100% wiling to teach myself how to do this if anyone can give me the terminology to search for. I don't know what I'm trying to do is called. My current searches end in description leaving me with the ...20.1, ....30.1 scenario. Maybe it can't be done.

Thanks, Jeff

I should add I'd be using an Ethernet cable to connect them. Not looking to use the second router as a range extender (something tomato can't do).

Different subnets for each and static IP addresses for the clients should do the trick, unless I am misreading the post.

A few things I can think of right off:

1. have each router assign different ranges of the 192.168.20.x subnet. For example, assign 192.168.20.1 to the WRT54G and 192.168.20.2 to the N router. Then, wire the 2 routers together using an Ethernet cable between 2 of the LAN ports (do NOT connect them using the WAN ports). This puts both routers on the same subnet. Now, set up the WRT54G to give out DHCP IPs between 192.168.20.10 & 192.168.20.99. Set up the N router to give out IPs from 192.168.20.100 to 192.168.20.199.
  2. Or, assign IPs to the routers as in point 1 but turn off DHCP on one of the routers (it doesn't matter which one). Have the other router assign all the IPs.
  3. Or, turn off DHCP on BOTH routers and have your gateway computer or WHS or some other computer be the DHCP server. As long as there's a DHCP serve on the network somewhere computers, wired or wireless, will be able to get IPs.

• Like 1

I have used ikons option 2 numerous times, Since routers are ussually cheaper than APs it is easier putting in an IP on a new router, connect it to a lan port and let my main router act as the DHCP and DNS server

Concur; easiest is keep DHCP on the lowest common denominator router (802.11 G in this case) and turn off on all others.

If you want to get a little more complicated,

A.enable RIP on both routers so they can see each subnet, and use two separate DHCP servers or

B. ensure your subnet mask isn't /24 like most defaults are (i.e. 255.255.255.0 which would include your X.X.10.X but nothing on X.X.20.X.) Instead you could use a full Class B (/16) as your subnet and then both routers would act as Layer 2 devices between themselves. Still would only have one device as the DHCP server.

Well I got it working I am very pleased to say. My network speeds have doubled/tripled depending on the computer. I have the PS3 and the Ex487 connected to the N routers gigibit ports. The TiVo and Onyky receiver on the G router. I chose option 2 from above and it was incredibly simple.

Took me 45 mins to realize that I had changed my G routers setting and not my N routers settings. That was a headache, I now know not to setup a new router while the other one is still connected. Didn't realize I could be connected to 2 networks at a time. 1 wireless (G) and 1 wired (N while doing config). Who knew.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Edited by jeffla

Glad it worked and that you found it simple. Like most things, it's easy once you know how ;) Hopefully you'll have a chance to pass the knowledge on to someone else.