RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jazzerjay

A bit of help with external storage

jazzerjay

I hate when I jump the gun sometimes without investigating a product, but that's what I've done. Luckily for me, it's minimal damage on the wallet. I'll be brief (which never happens). The other day I bought this shell shocker deal of a SANSDigital 4 bay eSata enclosure to attach to my V1 N40l. The deal is gone, but here are the components.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111177

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148681

Anyway, for $179 I figured I couldn't go wrong but I didn't read that the N40l esata port is not a multiplier and supports only one drive. (again if only I had tested this) When the enclosure came in, I immediately began ripping it apart to install drives. I also ran to Fry's to pick up an eSata port replicator. Silly me to think that they would have one that was half way decent and ended up getting one from Bytecc (BT-PES321I http://www.byteccusa.com/product/xP-card/BT-PES321i/BT-PES321i.htm) for $30. Should be fine, right? I have tested this both with V1 and with WHS 2011 and have had the same issue with drives not formatting (and the OS hangs) within the enclosure when adding them to either OS.

There are a few things that I haven't tried and kick myself for not allowing time to focus on this "project". For starters I haven't even installed any patches including SP1 for V1 or any of the 30+ ones that updates is requiring.

I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on next steps.

1. I can RMA the enclosure and lose $23 for restock fees and shipping. I can also return the card to Fry's and get my $30 back. But keep the drive.

2. Perhaps the eSata card is the issue being that its a bit on the low end for what this board boasts from time to time. So return this one and get a better one.

3. Return the card and put this enclosure on the shelf for future use. (I think it's the $23 that I'm giving Newegg that is really the bottom line here) Again, silly on my part as I spent $24 yesterday on lunch for two.

4. Send it all back and look into external USB 3.0 enclosures and external card.

The purpose of all of this was to have external backups attached to my V1 box. I already have two USB external drives for backup (one is an IOSafe) but I don't keep these powered on unless I'm actually doing backups and our data doesn't change daily for me to do so.

ikon

I have 2 of these cards, which worked just fine with my old MediaSonic Pro enclosure. Here it is at Newegg. Perhaps you could RMA your card and get one of these ones.

jazzerjay

So you're thinking it's the cheaper card I have? The startech is Sata II though, but I'm sure that's just fine for backup purposes.

ikon

That, and the SANS Digital enclosure is SATA II.

jazzerjay

That, and the SANS Digital enclosure is SATA II.

What's an "I" between friends? Great call on your part. Speaking of parts, I've ordered the startech card. Returning the other one to Fry's is easy as pie. Thanks for your help Ikon!

diehard

Something to consider. I noticed that with the modified BIOS by Christian at Bios-Mods.com, there was 2 settings that became available concerning the esata port. One included something about FIS switching I believe. Maybe that could be contributing to this not working. This is only a guess on my part, sorry.

If I ever get a esata board, I'll give this a test since I do have a Sans Digital 4 bay box. Maybe Joe_Miner can chime in here.

I have 2 of these cards, which worked just fine with my old MediaSonic Pro enclosure. Here it is at Newegg. Perhaps you could RMA your card and get one of these ones.

Yeah, I think these cards are recommended, although I find them pricey, $47 plus tax and shipping, ouch.

ikon

Something to consider. I noticed that with the modified BIOS by Christian at Bios-Mods.com, there was 2 settings that became available concerning the esata port. One included something about FIS switching I believe. Maybe that could be contributing to this not working. This is only a guess on my part, sorry.

If I ever get a esata board, I'll give this a test since I do have a Sans Digital 4 bay box. Maybe Joe_Miner can chime in here.

Yeah, I think these cards are recommended, although I find them pricey, $47 plus tax and shipping, ouch.

They can be bought at CanadaComputers for $34, although it is a special order item. TigerDirect.ca has them for $32.69 and they're in stock.

jazzerjay

I suppose I could revert back to the factory settings because, quite frankly, I'm not using any of the extras that the bios modding offers. I couldn't find anything yesterday within the bios, but then again, I was probably a bit frustrated and not looking for it in the right places.

As for price, I got mine from Amazon for $30 (free prime shipping) and I had a gift card to cover it. So, there ya go.

ikon

As for price, I got mine from Amazon for $30 (free prime shipping) and I had a gift card to cover it. So, there ya go.

Excellent.

Joe_Miner

-snip-

-snip-

I'm not much help, I'm afraid. I'm still running a eSATA to SATA cable into the box to hook up my HD for VHD's in the ODD so as to leave my 4-bay clear.

I really don't know much - I do make a lot of mistakes that I try not to repeat (though sometimes I end up repeating multiple times to get the lesson down pat).