RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Defragmenting

usacomp2k3

Do any of ya'll do it anymore? I haven't manually defragged a hard drive since XP (3+ years) and never have on the WHS. With the new version of Perfect Disk coming out, I was just curious if anyone else had used such a product on your server and seen any difference.

yes I have and firmly believe in it. I use it on all of my pcs and it makes a huge difference for loading applications.

Funny you should ask. I've seen a difference when wireless streaming movies. Sometimes a movie will 'hitch', and if I analyze and see the file is fragmented, defragging produces better performance, that is, the hitching/stuttering stops.

And while I can always do this manually, I like an app like PD or Diskeeper dealing with it for me.

Guest no-control

meh

It's scheduled on my son's PC that's about it. But he's using older IDE drives in a funky JBOD. My PC uses SSDs so no need for it. My wife's Laptop doesn't really have any "new" apps on it, the HTPC doesn't really have much on it to warrant needing a defrag either. WHS, never really thought about it.

It used to make a difference back when you would hit the page file constantly on system with 128/512 RAM and 25gig HDD. Now with SSDs and large ram banks and 1TB+ drives, doesn't seem necessary anymore. If fact, I usually will configure a PC no only without a defrag, but also without a pagefile.

Hey AJ, I actually did the trial version of PD10 on WHS and the results were quite surprising. Other than my system drive, none of the other drives had a big problem with fragmentation. Most of them were <0.3% and the worst one, my 500G with 95% occupancy was at 1%. This was after absolutely no defragging for over a year on some of those drives. Also, I did not really get video stuttering at all, even with multiple streams.

I'd say it's probably just the way I use it, since I put all my media there and never take it off. If someone has large amounts of data which changes often, the picture might be a little different.

Food for thought.

@ roddy - Ok, I guess my first question would be what do you mean by videos? Full size rips? Or had you converted them to a smaller format? Also, were you wired or wireless when running concurrent streams?

@no-control - I've almost never run defrag on my Win 7 machine, this after using Win 7 for 15 months. And the few times I did, it was more to check fragmentation status than anything else. I'm not really seeing the need for manually running defrag on Win 7. WHS is another story. I could live with a few hitches, but I don't have to if I have something like Diskeeper or PD running in the background. Currently, my WHS Diskeeper trial version has expired, and I've yet to install PD trial. I'll run like this for awhile to see how it goes. It's possible that the way I rip my movies is causing a problem. I rip directly to the Movies folder on WHS. Maybe I should rip to my PC, then transfer to WHS. But then that'd be 2 steps so that's why I chose the way I do it. Still, I wonder. Any thoughts?

@dvn: My concurrent streams test was using two ~2Mbps media streams (anime) and this is typical usage for me. I had one wired and one wireless connection, but my guess is it didn't really matter since I wasn't topped out.

Anyway, my point was that my files really did not have any significant fragmentation to speak of, as reported by PD itself. I doubt that even with larger files, which I do have, I would not have been limited by fragmentation issues.

Of course, I stated before, this is just my personal experience. My advice probably is do the trial, and if you like the results, buy in. If not, then at least you learned something.

no-control

You mentioned with 1+ TB drives you no longer need to defragment. Why is that? To me it seems the larger the drive, the more important defragmenting is.

Does WHS not have the normal defragmenter? I have never looked.

It does have the regular command-line defrag as well as the defragmenter snap-in in the computer management. I don't know if it plays well with the pooled drives though, never tried it.