RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

my first server..need some help setting up my new N40L microserver

capall

Hi all,

I just got my new microserver (and my first server) and ready to set it up, but am a bit confused on some of of the options. My plan is to use it for PC backup's and streaming music/movies

Setup plan;

Install WHS2011 on the 250GB drive.

Buy two 1Tb or 2TB WD green drives, using one as a mirror. When I need more space I'll either make do with one more without a mirror or, move the OS to the ODD and swap out the 250GB for a larger one, then have 2 more large drives mirrored. I'll use an external USB drive as an server backup and possibly online as well.

Where I need some is help is with the drives and memory. From reading the forums, best or sufficient would be to use the WD green drives, but which ones?. There's various versions of 1Tb and 2Tb on newegg, and I don't know which one to get.

SATA 3.0Gb/s; WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SATA 3.0Gb/s; WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

and similar naming conventions in 1TB sizes

For RAM, I understand I need the following type; PC3 10600, DDR3 1333 ECC unbuffered, 240pin. Am I OK to use any memory that has this in the title, and use crucial, Gskil or kingston?

Thanks

derek

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• capall

• Joe_Miner

Just to clarify, when you say you would swap out the 250GB drive for a larger one, are you still planning on having the OS on its own drive, and not use the OS drive for data? I would recommend that you do just that - do not use the OS drive for data.

I think you can tell from the number of reviews that the EARS drives are quite a bit older than the HNC. Not sure if the HNC drives are significantly different or not.

For RAM, the most popular I've seen in these forums is the GSkill RipJaws.

thanks for the response,

yes correct, OS always on its own drive, thanks for the re-enforcement. Although I think as I expand, I will be fine with the OS in drive 1 (the pre-installed 250GB), data in drive 2 mirrored on drive 3, and drive 4 for music and video. If my video gets bigger I'll just dedicate a server to it.

So HNC are the replacement for EARS..and then is the EARX the new version again which operate at 6Gb/s ?

Hi all,

I just got my new microserver (and my first server) and ready to set it up, but am a bit confused on some of of the options. My plan is to use it for PC backup's and streaming music/movies

Setup plan;

Buy two 1Tb or 2TB WD green drives, using one as a mirror. When I need more space I'll either make do with one more without a mirror or, move the OS to the ODD and swap out the 250GB for a larger one, then have 2 more large drives mirrored. I'll use an external USB drive as an server backup and possibly online as well.

Where I need some is help is with the drives and memory. From reading the forums, best or sufficient would be to use the WD green drives, but which ones?. There's various versions of 1Tb and 2Tb on newegg, and I don't know which one to get.

SATA 3.0Gb/s; WDBAAY0020HNC-NRSN 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SATA 3.0Gb/s; WD20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

and similar naming conventions in 1TB sizes

For RAM, I understand I need the following type; PC3 10600, DDR3 1333 ECC unbuffered, 240pin. Am I OK to use any memory that has this in the title, and use crucial, Gskil or kingston?

Thanks

derek

Welcome to the Forums and congratulations on your new MicroServer. Your MicroServer is a very capable little machine so before settling on a specific plan ......

I would recommend you read through many of the threads in the MicroServer Forum starting with the "links" thread http://homeserversho...roserver-links/

and

For RAM check this post in the MicroServer Forum http://homeserversho...nt-microserver/

I'm actually using the
that Dieharder is using and had recommended and have had very good luck with it.

but be sure to check out the
Edited by Joe_Miner

Hi all,

Setup plan;

-snip-

For $119.99 or the same price as the WD20EARS but with free shipping (so it's actually cheaper!!!) you can get the Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARX 2TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive and these are nice drives, IMHO. As you can see in my Signature block below I'm using them in my WHS-V1 and am very happy with their performance even though I have them plugged into SATA-II ports. I also like the 64MB cache.

thanks Joe,

yes saw those as well, so in terms of old to newer technology they increase in speed and cache; , going from EARS (sata II, 3.0Gb/s) to HNC (sata II, 3.0Gb/s) to EARX (sata III, 6.0Gb/s).

thanks

Stay away from memory DIMMS with the heat fins. They will not fit in the Microserver.

Stay away from memory DIMMS with the heat fins. They will not fit in the Microserver.

That's good info for Micro-Server owners. It cuts out a fair bit of the Corsair RAM.

Yea, but I wondered what would happen to the actual performance of the memory if you removed those fins????