RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSDs - What The Fail?

dvn

I know a number of you have seen an SSD die. List your dead ones here. I'll start:

G.SKILL Phoenix Pro Series - 120GB - SATA II

• Died 18 months into a 3 year warranty.
  • G.Skill is replacing the drive but that model is on back order from overseas, according to them. It's been nearly a month since I RMA'd it, but it looks like they will be replacing it.

*The primary reason for the thread is that I'm trying to understand, based upon a sampling from this community, which SSDs have died and whether they were replaced by the manufacturer or store. And which manufacturers are standing by their products and are issuing replacements. I'll also be interested to see if one manufacturer rises to the top in terms of drive failures.

If you would, could you also state when the SSD died. DOA or 2 years in, each case tells its own story. One, perhaps, is a QC issue while other may be a question of reliability.

**I'd like to keep this thread running for an indefinite period, and you folks can add to it as your SSDs die. I think it'll make an interesting thread.

OCZ Vertex 1 - Died after about 18 months and I was not able to get it replaced because I was not the original buyer and I didn't have the time to waste arguing with them.

If you can remember, say how long before they died and whether you were able to get them replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

OCZ Vertex 1 - Died after about 18 months and I was not able to get it replaced.

Any particular reason why?

2 x Agility 3 60GB used in CachCade both lasted about a month

1 replaced by newegg 2nd not replaced yet

Guest no-control

2x g.skill Falcon. 1st fail was DOA, Newegg swapped, about 1 year later I had another fail after running over my laptop with a car.(dont ask). RMA took about 3-4 weeks. neither I consider to be an outright failure. DOAs happen and I'm pretty sure the second was user error.

I should note that I've owned 11 SSDs.

Yesterday I had a failure on the OCZ Revo drive in my main Win7 rig. I thought it might be dead but, after I mucked around with it a bit, I got it to take a fresh install of Win7. I then was able to do a full restore from a WHS2011 backup. Whew! :) However, I'm now wary of this drive; will be looking at replacing it sometime in the relatively near future I think.

Yesterday I had a failure on the OCZ Revo drive in my main Win7 rig. I thought it might be dead but, after I mucked around with it a bit, I got it to take a fresh install of Win7. I then was able to do a full restore from a WHS2011 backup. Whew! :) However, I'm now wary of this drive; will be looking at replacing it sometime in the relatively near future I think.
Not dead? Doesn't count. :D

But seriously, this thread is about dead SSDs, when they died (how long they lasted), and whether they were replaced by the store or manufacturer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2