RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 8 Server App?

G. WadeTech

As most of us have probably read through the tutorials that are out there about the Apple Server App/Role that can be purchased and installed to offer some of the controls/features that come with having a full Apple Server. I have been working back and forth through my current setup and what my needs are and will be once I switch to Windows 8. From what I know of the Apple Server application I think that if Microsoft offered a feature like that to Windows 8 I would be able to make a full switch to Client only environment for PROD and use my other machines for testing/development work.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are something along the lines as this: http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/08/26/apple-os-lion-server-home-server-part-5-configuration/

Where a user of Windows 8 would download/install the WHS application and enable features within the application as needed and these features would be the same items that we know and love in our current WHS 2011 servers. This way for light wait server users there is no need to run another machine if you didn't want to and could manage those features from your main machine. I am sure I am missing some things but so far this seems like a good idea.

I've been predicting for some time that WHS 2011 is the last WHS product that we'll see. If we're lucky, Microsoft will provide the centralized/single instance client PC backup of WHS as an Add-on App for any Windows 8 PC, and make it available via Windows Store.

As far as I can see, that's the only piece of WHS that Windows 8 currently doesn't have.

Edited by gcoupe