RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

25 TB's of Goodness

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I use AllwaySync to copy my video (TV & Movie) files over from the WHS to a 2008R2 box and then stream from the 2008R2. No issues as long as you map the drive to WHS from 2008 and have the right permissions. Works like a charm.

So you installed AllwaySync on your WHS and mapped the s2008r2 drive on your WHS? Did you set up s2008r2 as a file server to share the drive or did you just sharing under properties on the drive?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• jmwills

jmwills

I mapped a drive from the WHS to the 2008R2 Server which has File Sharing enabled, etc. Actually I created a DFS Root on the 2008R2 box with three separate folders within so I simplified, at least for me, access. One of those folders has the target folder named "Recorded TV".

Simple enough. the one thing to be careful with is propagation with deletions. I chose the WHS to contain the master copies meaning a deletion on the 2008R2 side will not delete on the WHS. The easiest way to think of this is sharing files between two workstations with AllWaySync doing the heavy lifting,

the one thing to be careful with is propagation with deletions

Yeah. Watch out for them cascading deletions. Make one little mistake and you'll be saying, "Hey, where'd all my files go?".

ImTheTypeOfGuy

A nice feature with CrashPlan is you can set it where files are never deleted in the cloud. So they are always retreivable. But I don't like that the files are not copied over in a usable format.

timekills

Maybe a dead horse,but you can enable the Intel RAID option in BIOS even if you aren't using those SATA ports (or RAID) and it will skip the RocketRAID BIOS check. Often the onboard RAID check is faster than RocketRAID's. You'd have to disable the onboard if you ever want to boot from the RocketRAID.

Also, the way to just disable the RocketRAID boot option is while flashing it's firmware; disabling the Int13 should be available in the normal BIOS for the card but it isn't. It is only an option to change when you are actually flashing the card, i.e. When you are upgrading the card's BIOS. This does make it boot faster, but not as quickly as completely bypassing by enabling another RAID option on another device.

• 4 weeks later...
ImTheTypeOfGuy

I have accepted it for now but would love to resolve it permanently. What if your firmware is the latest firmware? Do you just flash it again. I don't recall the option when I flashed it the first time. Unfortunately I can't enable the MB raid because I have drives on all available ports.