RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Full drive encryption?

scottbakertemp

Absolutely. You can do all the cyber security you want but if physical security is not in place, well, what good is the other?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottbakertemp

• jmwills

• jeffla

• ikon

Absolutely. You can do all the cyber security you want but if physical security is not in place, well, what good is the other?

Can't agree with you on this. If someone steals my equipment, I'll feel a LOT better about it if my data is encrypted than if it is isn't. Agreed, physical security is always preferable, but how many of us can really have that in our homes?

Well, at least in the new house, I have a wiring cabinet that feeds to the main switch which connects to the server rack. All clients have their My Docs folders redirected to the Home Server so even if the client was stolen, the data has one more level of security.

The servers are not in plain view of any room and the door to that room is locked. Security system and other counter measures in place also.

Come on by for a visit!!

We'll I do plan on bolting the home server inside a filing cabinet and making it very ugly (a piece of wood with components on it). If a burgler came in and took the time to take it anyway they would have to have my thumbdrive to do anything. Let's say they hold me at gun point take my server and my thumbdrive. They would have to have some sort of password os unlock tool with bitlocker built in. At that point I'm just glad to be alive and I probably have much worse problems than someone stealing my data. :ph34r:

Amen to that! All I was trying to say is that making the server inaccessible and out of sight helps as the crooks are usually working under a time constraint. I guess the only totally secure option would be have it all in the cloud. Except for the host, all the servers are virtual so they would have to be somewhat tech savvy and besides, I have LogmeIn installed on the host so I can see the last IP used.

I have to put my opinion on physical security. I bring to the conversation the old proverb of "Out of sight, out of mind"

Coming from a background of home security I can give many examples of homes that were broken into that show that thieves steal what was convenient unless a safe has presented itself. The Point to take from here is hide it well or lose it.

Encryption is difficult, time consuming and very inconvenient.

I agree some files you should encrypt, but the whole server? I do not think it is necessary.

I also do not think bolting the server down in a unsecure area is the answer as stealing the hard drives is too easy.

Hiding the server so it can not be found easily is the only way to physically secure it. If a thief has enough time, they can get into most home safes. I have even seen them pry it from the wall it was mounted in. Hiding the server keeps it most secure.

Does anyone leave cash or expensive jewelry laying around when they go on vacation? So why leave your most valuable things like your personal photos and information laying around?

I also do not store any information or the password to the server on any clients. This is to deny access to the server from any of the clients if the thief is so inclined.

My server is stored in a hidden cabinet that is temperature controlled along with my home security DVR.

The only down side to hiding your server, is when ripping my movies. My Movies auto rip feature requires you to use the server's optical drive to auto rip. I have to do it with a client and shove it over to the server. I wish My Movies would enable clients to auto rip Movies to the server. but it is what it is.

Other than that there is no reason to physically get to my server other than an occasional re boot or upgrade the hard drives.

One of the benefits of hiding this kind of equipment is, you do not have to listen to the noisy fans.

Stay safe and remember the best time to think of security is before you need it.

Stay safe and remember the best time to think of security is before you need it.

And here I thought the best time was as you're watching the tail lights of the thieves' truck going down the street. :D