RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Full drive encryption?

scottbakertemp

After reading more about bitlocker and truecrypt I stumbled upon a program called kon-boot. It will easily bypass any windows, Mac or Linux login with only pressing enter 3 times.. How horrifying. Starting to think I might reconsider encryption. Although encrypting a headless MSS with no KVM access seems too risky. Maybe just the laptops/desktop.

This reminds me of my recent lightening run in. Wish I could remove the knowledge I gained on the usefulness of a surge protector. I miss my ignorant bliss.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• scottbakertemp

• jmwills

• jeffla

• ikon

I have some extra tin foil if you guys need to make some hats. :ph34r:

Already made one. :ph34r:

Got my test WHS 2011 box going with bitlocker on the OS partition and the data partition. I'm going to try and find a small thumb drive I can keep on my keychain and I

l'll just take the thumb drive with me when I leave the house. You only need the thing when the server boots up. I'll keep a recovery key off site.

It works!

This reminds me of my recent lightening run in. Wish I could remove the knowledge I gained on the usefulness of a surge protector. I miss my ignorant bliss.

Ahhh Grasshoppah, in time we must all relinquish the Bliss so it may embrace a new generation. :)

Already made one. :ph34r:

Got my test WHS 2011 box going with bitlocker on the OS partition and the data partition. I'm going to try and find a small thumb drive I can keep on my keychain and I

l'll just take the thumb drive with me when I leave the house. You only need the thing when the server boots up. I'll keep a recovery key off site.

It works!

Nice plan, specially the part about the offsite key storage.

I have some extra tin foil if you guys need to make some hats. :ph34r:

Heavy duty right? I lost a good friend years ago who bought the cheap tin foil. Poor guy.

?

I think he is referring to some sort of lock, like a locked room, locked cabinet, maybe hiding the server someplace.