RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
mattd390

D-Link DGS-1008G 5 port Gb Switch - $24.99 FS

ikon

Just a caution. I wouldn't use it at the end of a long run IF you plan to stream video, especially blu-ray, across that long run. I had a setup like that using some HP ProCurve switches and the streaming did not function well at all. I changed to a single, central switch and everything works great.

mattd390

Yikes! Thanks for the info ikon!

ikon

Yikes! Thanks for the info ikon!

YW. Now, one caveat. I'm only 1 data point. Maybe it was something to do with the HP switches, like internal lag. Maybe it was something else. I messed with a bunch trying to get it to work. In the end, a single, central switch fixed it. I just put it out there so people will consider it before rushing headlong into something.

jmwills

Agreed, homeruns are better but sometimes you have to improvise or at least put the data and output (HTPC & Server) on the same segment, which should help out.

Joe_Miner

http://www.newegg.co...-33127325-L019B

Promo Code - EMCNEJB89

Not a bad little switch for a small network or to add additional ports after a long cable run.

Nice find. I wouldn't hesitate on this deal. BTW, Your link is for a 8-port switch. I recently upgraded to this D-Link switch (from a D-Link 5-port) and it works great in my home office that's on my main floor. The other drops on my main floor are still D-Link 5-port switches and they are trouble free for me. The cable runs from my switches on the main floor are anywhere from 50 to 100' to my D-Link 8-port switch in the basement that aggregates my servers and cable internet feed.

whatsinaname

Thanks for this, I have a perfect use for it. (replace an older smaller 5 port switch)

Good find.

mattd390

Nice find. I wouldn't hesitate on this deal. BTW, Your link is for a 8-port switch. I recently upgraded to this D-Link switch (from a D-Link 5-port) and it works great in my home office that's on my main floor. The other drops on my main floor are still D-Link 5-port switches and they are trouble free for me. The cable runs from my switches on the main floor are anywhere from 50 to 100' to my D-Link 8-port switch in the basement that aggregates my servers and cable internet feed.

Oops, Not sure why I thought it was a 5 port, my bad :). I think the good price threw me off. That makes it an even better deal. I just won a $100 raffle at work, maybe I will pick one up to replace my last gen D-link 5 port switch lol.

Joe_Miner

$100 -- Get the D-Link 8-Port and still have $ to go to Battleship this weekend and out to a nice dinner!