RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

$199 HP TouchPad 32GB Wi-Fi Tablet

Dave

Is this a $200 waste of money or a good deal?

woot.com

1 HP TouchPad 32GB Wi-Fi Tablet, 9.7” Capacitive LCD, webOS 3.0, Bluetooth 2.1, 802.11n, 1.3MP Cam

Refurbished

jmwills

Sounds good except for WebOS...I

cskenney

I have 1 of these that I bought during the fire sale. I think I paid about $150 (I don't remember exactly). I am not sure I would buy another one and here is why.

1. Most of the desirable apps for WebOS cost money. They are not $1 or $2 but more in the realm of $4 - $10.

2. There is very little app development any more and some developers are pulling their apps from the store.

3. You can install Android from Cyanogenmod and I have done this to mine (it actually can boot to either OS). My experience with the Android version I have installed is some apps will NOT run on the Touchpad and you have to try it to find them. I see there are new versions of Android available now so maybe I need to update my install. To put Android on the touchpad is not hard but you do have to follow instructions (something some people have trouble with).

4. I have had sound problems with mine. I found an app in the Preware repository that helped but occasionally the sound gets all muffled and static and I have to reboot to fix it.

Overall if you like to play around with things then the Touchpad works. I have some movies on mine so my kids can use it while travelling (son uses the first gen IPad and daughter gets the Touchpad). If I was to do it over I think I would just buy another iPad.

ikon

When tech gets obsoleted like the HP Touchpad, I always figure it's only 2 real uses are experimenting/playing or some dedicated purpose. For example, if you were to configure the Touchpad as a Home Theater Remote then it could be use for that purpose until it dies. You would no longer have to worry about OS updates, apps, etc.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

To me, you should only get it if you don't mind spending $200 on a web browser or you want to put android on it. I got mine during the firesale and I feel it was a waste of money. I need to take the time to put android on it.