RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS -- WEB-sites -- and streaming video

TheGuy

Everyone,
Here is my challenge. I make use of WHIIST for a local WHS web site which I created so that from the internet our in-laws can come in and have a look at the family activities such as the latest photos from our adventures etc... As we arrive from such a family outing, we upload our camera memory cards into the WHS and then can view them. Instantly our in-laws are also able to see pictures of that event and we keep in touch that way.
This works; works well and it

Are you trying to stream the movie or are you trying to make the movie files available to download? I think that could make a difference. The next issue might become your upload speed. My upload is only 400kbps so streaming video doesn't work very well from the MSS.

cskenney

Actually either / or. I'm not fussy. I'd prefer a streaming solution as some of these are preaty big 570,000 Kb or more. My upload speed is 820 Kbps
Hope this helps,

The Guy,

There are a couple of ways I would go about this.

I would give the in-laws a user account and give them rights to the video and or the photos folder. You can control what they can see and read and write to and from. Since I don't know about the web site you made for them in Whiist I can't tell you why they can't see the files.

The other option is to install Web Guide add-in. This would allow them to stream the movie from the WHS. Note though I've used Web Guide and it works ok but far from perfect, for me anyway. It plays the music files fine and slide show of the photos well. Where I run into problems is when I'm trying to stream large hi res movie files. Note here it is possible to put the Web Guide web site on the public side of the WHS homepage I can't think that is a good idea for obvious security reasons. So once again users need to be created.

Another thing I just thought of but I'm not sure it will work. You could put a hyperlink on the web site and point it to the video folder. I'm not sure if it will work because I think they would still need user rights to open the folder. But if it does then they could use Media Player embedded in IE to stream the videos.

Just remember you are limited to 10 users so if you have a lot of people who you want to let view these videos it might be a good idea to make a user called In-Laws or whatever and give all of the people that user name and password and set their read/write credentials as you see fit.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

fasthair

Are you sure it's limited to 10 users? I thought the limitation was 10 computers.

Is anyone using ORB? Some comments I have found seem to indicate that this product might offer some solution...maybe SAGE... I guess I'll have to fire up the test machine again.