RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 62, what did you think ?

diehard

Podcast 62 was about Dave's Windows 7 party and setting up this forum to have a place to showcase the home builds. Also, we can discuss what you heard & what your comments are about that show, so speak up. I'll mention the juicy stuff on the next podcast.

Happy Halloween.

Great show,

About your whole discussion concerning home builds, I have a home build with an AMD64 x2 4800+, 1 gig ram, 10 hdd and an Gigabyte AMD 740g chipset motherboard, which consumes 83 W idle and 123 peak, now I have underclocked and undervoltet so that it now runs at 1 GHz at 0,95V which is what it runs at minimum speed using amd cool & quiet, this means I have a peak power consumtion of just 83 W.

just a little info for anyone thinking of different systems for home builds.

A typical hdd would consume anywhere from 8-20 W, modern hdd max out at 13 W and power saving models like the Western Digital GP series and samsungs Eco max at around 6 W.

Always great to listen to the show each week. I don't know where you guys find the time to put it together
The forums are an interesting challenge - as you know there are others out there already including my favourite http://forum.wegotserved.com/ - I understand you want to try to manage the questions and feedback on the show but you might also want to point people to some of the more popular forums (and wiki's) that already contain a lot of knowledge (and potential answers) on WHS
Best wishes for the continued success of the show

• 2 weeks later...

Great who as always! One thing I didn't hear prior to upgrading my PC to Win7 Home Prem is that you can't use WHS Remote Access with it? Is that right?

After upgrading my Desktop to Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista Ultimate, my WHS console shows it as Windows Vista Home Premium (I know PP3 will fix that) and says Remote Access is "Not supported on this operating system". Is that for real? Is there a way around that without spending $100+ to upgrade to W7 Ultimate?

We have mentioned this on the show several times, but I like to use Mesh to remote control PC's on my network. Mesh gets around all that silly version stuff and let's your remote to any PC at any version that is supported. File syncing is nice too. Have you looked into Mesh?

@r.mcadams - I believe that the remote access functionality may be because you need to enable remote access on the client machine, as well as needing to go to PP3 for full Windows 7 support.

Personally, I have Dameware Remote on the server, with the Advance Admin add-in, so I can run the Dameware client and connect to any PC on the local network...

Just another spin on how to work around things :)