RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
eagle63

Browser limitations of remote web access

ikon

"Web app"? Not certain what your referring to. I know there's a "Web app" in Win8; is that it?

jmwills

No, Outlook 2010 "Webmail" is now a Web App.

eagle63

Do any of you guys use the remote web access to share photos to family/friends? It seems like that could be a neat way to use web access, but I'm not sure if that actually works well in practice. Maybe create a very limited user on WHS that has remote acesss enabled, and then give them read-only access to the photos share?

ikon

No, Outlook 2010 "Webmail" is now a Web App.

Oh, OK. Not familiar with that.

ikon

Do any of you guys use the remote web access to share photos to family/friends? It seems like that could be a neat way to use web access, but I'm not sure if that actually works well in practice. Maybe create a very limited user on WHS that has remote acesss enabled, and then give them read-only access to the photos share?

You're probably already aware of this, but here's a very short Technet article: RemoteWebAccessFeatures

jmwills

Use it all the time. You can create a one time account that only has access to certain folders or a generic family & friends account that could be scoped to a wider array of folders. I would insure the accounts have "Read Only" access.

ikon

Here's an article with more detail: SlideShow

gcoupe

No. If you have large libraries, remote access of the Media Libraries becomes very flaky indeed. Microsoft's only response to this is to advise users to reduce the size of their libraries...

eagle63

Here's an article with more detail: SlideShow

Thanks ikon, that matches up with what I'm finding which is that the only IE-specific feature in the remote web access is the ability to connect to your PC's. (because it uses an Active X control) Some of the media features (like playing music) require Silverlight but that is relatively cross-platform.

No. If you have large libraries, remote access of the Media Libraries becomes very flaky indeed. Microsoft's only response to this is to advise users to reduce the size of their libraries...

Hmm, I haven't had that specific problem yet although my photo library isn't that huge. The biggest problem I AM seeing, however, is there seems to be no way to view a photo when browsing the photo libraries. Clicking on a photo thumbnail starts downloading it, which is not at all what I would have expected. I would have assumed clicking it would enlarge it.

Am I missing something? My family doesn't want to download my photos - they want to view them. I'm just baffled by how this works, but hopefully I'm just missing something.

Edited by eagle63

jmwills

Thanks ikon, that matches up with what I'm finding which is that the only IE-specific feature in the remote web access is the ability to connect to your PC's. (because it uses an Active X control) Some of the media features (like playing music) require Silverlight but that is relatively cross-platform.

Hmm, I haven't had that specific problem yet although my photo library isn't that huge. The biggest problem I AM seeing, however, is there seems to be no way to view a photo when browsing the photo libraries. Clicking on a photo thumbnail starts downloading it, which is not at all what I would have expected. I would have assumed clicking it would enlarge it.

Depends on which browser you use. You should be able to see all the thumbnails when using IE.

Am I missing something? My family doesn't want to download my photos - they want to view them. I'm just baffled by how this works, but hopefully I'm just missing something.