Sign in to follow this  
eagle63

Browser limitations of remote web access

eagle63

As I'm getting closer to making a move from v1 to 2011, I'm trying to determine what IE specific features are in the remote web access. I thought it was just the ability to connect to PC's on your network, but I've read a few things that make it sound like there are other limitations such as photo slideshows and music streaming. Or are these not browser related but Silverlight related? I'm hoping it's the latter since you can put silverlight on Mac's, etc. (and seriously, who the heck uses IE anyway! c'mon microsoft!)

jmwills

One of the issues I see with Firefox and Chrome, and it's not just with WHS but also SharePoint, is the ability to upload multiple files. It's their product, so I guess MS can put whatever restrictions they want to on it. Since IE9, I've had no issues IE and prefer it in some instances.

diehard

It seems, at least to me that although Microsoft gives us some eye candy with the Remote Web stuff, it's not a polished product. Some times the media does not show up in the Media section, I think this is because the media has to be included in the Libraries.

My advice is not to rely on it as your main way of viewing your content.

ikon

who the heck uses IE anyway! c'mon microsoft!)

Not that I'm an IE lover, but facts are facts. IE is still the most used browser in the world. I use Chrome quite a bit, including to post this, but I still use IE for some things. I'm not a MS fanboi, but I'm also not a fan of bashing for the sake of bashing. Just my 2 cents.

eagle63

First, I definitely didn't intend that to sound rude. I know everyone has their preferences and I respect that. I use mac, windows, and linux regularly and enjoy them all for different reasons. I admit I am a little opinionated with regard to browsers, however. IE9 is a perfectly fine browser, as is Firefox and Safari, but in my experience nothing can touch Chrome for speed, stability, features, etc. I think the only reason IE has any real marketshare is because it's the default installed browser (and the average non-techie doesn't even realize there are alternatives) and because many business use it. I feel the same way about Safari; it's the default browser on mac's and iOS devices and therefore gets an abnormally high amount of usage. But I just don't think it compares to Chrome.

But my beef with MS is making specific features in WHS only available to IE users. Maybe it's just a philosophical thing, but the web is supposed to be about openness and cross-platform. And it always irks me when there are intentional efforts to sidestep that and limit feature sets based on the browser. (and MS is certainly not the only one guilty of this)

So back on topic. I don't intend to use the remote web access feature a ton, mostly just for occasional things. But the ability to access internal PC's seemed pretty intriguing, as does the idea of doing a photo slide-show. I'm still not sure if those are available to all browsers, only IE, any browser with Silverlight, etc.

Edited by eagle63

jmwills

I knew what you meant and it didn't bother me. However, from a developer standpoint I can see the point MS makes.

eagle63

I knew what you meant and it didn't bother me. However, from a developer standpoint I can see the point MS makes.

For sure, obviously it's their product and they can do whatever they want. I think part of my frustration is I've always viewed windows home server as a unique product in that it feels like MS really attempted to build something that was inclusive and could be leveraged in a mixed environment. The fact that they even bothered to make a Mac connector is some evidence of that. I know I'm not the only non-MS person who got pulled into the MS world because of home server. (or maybe I am, who knows)

jmwills

or at least one of the few.

ikon

I think WHS just inherited the Mac connectivity. MS has been providing it on various server OS' since the early 90s. Since they already had it for Server 2003 and 2008, what the heck, just leave it in.

re: browsers. I use Chrome for these forums because IE9 & IE10 don't work 100% (well, except for one computer, where IE seems to work perfectly, for some oddball reason). On the other hand, I use IE for webmail on my email server because Chrome doesn't work with it properly. It seems no browser can do it all.

jmwills

Webmail is now a "Web App" so that is one of the reasons IE works well, that is unless your stuck on a version of IE that even Microsoft sites complain about. :angry: