RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
anujpuri85

Windows Home Server with Windows 7

jmwills

They will need to be NTFS.

anujpuri85

hmm.. Well that's dumb... any extention/driver/update I can get to make it read Fat?

jmwills

That's the way the OS was designed as was Vista and going forward. There are some parlor tricks to convert your FAT32 to NTFS but you can never go back. Your extenders will no longer be accessing the data directly but rather thur WHS.

anujpuri85

So.. what you're saying is it's best to just format them to NTFS and put my data back on them afterwards....

jmwills

Backup your data and you can use the command prompt to convert on the fly. BUT AGAIN, BACKUP YOUR DATA FIRST.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

• Like 1

anujpuri85

Excellent... Guess I'll give that a go. Thanks a lot!!!

jmwills

I've used that command several times with no issues, but again, backup that data. Permissions will change, more than likely, so review those when you are finished.

anujpuri85

Will try this when I get home from work. Will post results later:) Thanks a bunch!

ikon

hmm.. Well that's dumb... any extention/driver/update I can get to make it read Fat?

Well, it has been the way MS has been moving for quite a few years now. They've repeatedly said they're leaving FAT (all versions) behind. It's more limited, and less robust, than NTFS. About the only place I still have a need for FAT32 is on some USB flash drives, but that's getting less and less too.

jmwills

About the only thing I seen FAT32 flash drives used for here recently is the Windows Installation tool and obviously installs of ESXi, Untangle, etc.