RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
anujpuri85

Windows Home Server with Windows 7

anujpuri85

If you're going to try and dip your tow in the virtualization pool I'm thinking your best bet is to leave Windows 7 as your main OS and get Oracle's Virtualbox, which is free virtualization software to set up a WHS 2011 VM. Virtualbox is also pretty easy to set up. We get a bit carried away here sometimes. ;-)

Lol.. I like the words "easy" and "free", so I might just try that:)

krom

:-)

That was "dip your toe" BTW.

anujpuri85

As I am currently doing:)

Joe_Miner

-snip-

Check here for instructions on how to set up WHS-2011 in Oracle Virtual Box and a very interesting write-up by Jim. You could follow Jim’s instructions to set-up WHS-2011 on your Win7 machine right now and test it out (i.e. copy a few video’s over to a Virtual Hard Drive and stream them out) to see if it would do the things you want – then decide what you next step is from there. There is an Oracle add-in that may give you some USB functionality –

-Snip-

If you're going to try and dip your tow in the virtualization pool I'm thinking your best bet is to leave Windows 7 as your main OS and get Oracle's Virtualbox, which is free virtualization software to set up a WHS 2011 VM. Virtualbox is also pretty easy to set up. We get a bit carried away here sometimes. ;-)

Lol.. I like the words "easy" and "free", so I might just try that:)

:-)

That was "dip your toe" BTW.

Oracle VirtualBox ("OVB") is a great way to "dip your toe" in the virtualization pool. Use Jim's instructions (link above) for setting up WHS2011 (skip the Drobo $$$$$ part) and you can be up and running in no time. If you don't like it or accidently trash it no problem -- it's virtual -- you can delete and try again. What's nice about OVB is it gets your feet wet and pushes you up the learning curve mostly painlessly. When I started messing in Hyper-V a lot of things made sense off the bat because I had some experience with it in OVB.

jmwills

That's Drobo $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

anujpuri85

Oracle VirtualBox ("OVB") is a great way to "dip your toe" in the virtualization pool. Use Jim's instructions (link above) for setting up WHS2011 (skip the Drobo $$$$$ part) and you can be up and running in no time. If you don't like it or accidently trash it no problem -- it's virtual -- you can delete and try again. What's nice about OVB is it gets your feet wet and pushes you up the learning curve mostly painlessly. When I started messing in Hyper-V a lot of things made sense off the bat because I had some experience with it in OVB.

Ok.. so I got the OVB up and running with windows home server. I can't figure out how to add the USB drives now without having to format them. I found a couple of articles on how to add them, but each of those require a format. Any ideas? Also, do I need the connector software or can I just log onto the server through a ps3 or xbox360 or laptop and start streaming?

Joe_Miner

Ok.. so I got the OVB up and running with windows home server. I can't figure out how to add the USB drives now without having to format them. I found a couple of articles on how to add them, but each of those require a format. Any ideas? Also, do I need the connector software or can I just log onto the server through a ps3 or xbox360 or laptop and start streaming?

Can't you just see the USB drive in Windows Explorer? Shouldn't be necessary to format a drive to be able to just read it.

OVB has a manual that you should download if you haven't yet.

[Don't need the connector if you're not going to back up other PC's --- though if you're using WMC then WMC will load a connector to 2011.]

Go to the Dashboard in 2011 then Server Settings then Media Settings and turn on the Media Server.

Check the book

anujpuri85

I'll definitely check out the book. But no, every time I connect a USB, it says the device driver can't be found. I've tried with all three of my usb hard disks. I've never had to find a driver... wouldn't even know where to look. I tried looking up my seagate drive.. but found no drivers.

Joe_Miner

Did you load the Oracle Extension Pack?

anujpuri85

That I did not... I'll try that after work today. Quick question though: My externals are FAT32... so that they're compatible with the ps3. Will that be a problem with the windows home server? I've read it needs to be NTFS... but I figured since I only need WHS to read it and not actually use it for anything, that FAT32 might work?