RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
anujpuri85

Windows Home Server with Windows 7

ikon
:D :D

krom

anujpuri85 I don't think you mentioned what kind of hardware you are currently running. If you are thinking of virtualization (and even for physical PC's) your hardware will have a significant impact on how your systems perform.

anujpuri85

I don't remember the exact models numbers, but it's a quad core intel, clocked at 3.4ghz per core with 8gb ram and a 1gb video processor. nothing special, but nothing too shabby either... I'm assuming that should be enough to run a virtual comp? not sure tho...

krom

That should be fine. Memory is probably the biggest factor. 8gb is good....16gb would be better.

jmwills

WHS 2011 is limited to 8 GB.

krom

WHS 2011 is limited to 8 GB.

Yeah but if you're looking for horsepower for Photoshop I'm guessing WHS is going to be the guest OS here and Windows 7 the host.

jmwills

Or, do a base install of Server 2008 and run Hyper V. 2 gig for Server 2008, 6 for Windows 7, and 8 for WHS.

anujpuri85

Or, do a base install of Server 2008 and run Hyper V. 2 gig for Server 2008, 6 for Windows 7, and 8 for WHS.

Uh...what? I think dealing with 2 things would be easier for me..... Especially since I have no idea with server 2008 is....

krom

If you're going to try and dip your tow in the virtualization pool I'm thinking your best bet is to leave Windows 7 as your main OS and get Oracle's Virtualbox, which is free virtualization software to set up a WHS 2011 VM. Virtualbox is also pretty easy to set up. We get a bit carried away here sometimes. ;-)

jmwills

Server 2008 is the base OS upon which WHS 2011 is built.