RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
anujpuri85

Windows Home Server with Windows 7

anujpuri85

Oh, I gotchya. Now, would these external drives have to be connected to a "client" computer, like my laptop, for me to be able to add them as a library location, or could I connect them up to my server computer and add them to the library?

Joe_Miner, That helps a lot. I'll look into those videos. Apart from Adobe, do most programs/software that are meant for Windows 7 work for home server?

ikon

I would not use WHS2011 as your everyday OS. In other words, I would not use it to run apps like Photoshop.

As Joe_Miner said in response to my question to you, it is impossible to run WHS2011 and Win7 on one computer simply by having 2 disk drives. Only one OS can be active on the base hardware at any one time.

As Joe_Miner indicated, the way to get 2 OS' running on one computer is to use virtualization. This works because, effectively, you are creating 'fake' computers. The main OS, the one running on the actual hardware, is used to create these fake computers. You then connect to one of the fake compujters, and can install an OS on it just as if you were doing it on the physical hardware. In other words, the OS installer is tricked into thinking it is running on a real computer.

There are pros and cons to using virtualization. You will have to weigh them for yourself to see if it's something you want to do.

OK, That changes things.

Just a little eh? :D Something about the way he phrased his query made me wonder if he is trying to run both concurrently.

anujpuri85

I would not use WHS2011 as your everyday OS. In other words, I would not use it to run apps like Photoshop.

As Joe_Miner said in response to my question to you, it is impossible to run WHS2011 and Win7 on one computer simply by having 2 disk drives. Only one OS can be active on the base hardware at any one time.

As Joe_Miner indicated, the way to get 2 OS' running on one computer is to use virtualization. This works because, effectively, you are creating 'fake' computers. The main OS, the one running on the actual hardware, is used to create these fake computers. You then connect to one of the fake compujters, and can install an OS on it just as if you were doing it on the physical hardware. In other words, the OS installer is tricked into thinking it is running on a real computer.

There are pros and cons to using virtualization. You will have to weigh them for yourself to see if it's something you want to do.

Just a little eh? :D Something about the way he phrased his query made me wonder if he is trying to run both concurrently.

Well, the initial plan was to run both together, so that I could use windows 7 to run certain programs while having the server streaming my stuff. I'll read more into the virtualization and give that a show and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your help:)

ikon

Well, the initial plan was to run both together, so that I could use windows 7 to run certain programs while having the server streaming my stuff. I'll read more into the virtualization and give that a show and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your help:)

And don't forget, you always have the option of running WHS2011 on a separate computer. We have a mix of people in these forums; some running WHS2011 standalone and some running it as a VM (Virtual Machine). For example, I have my WHS2011 and Win7 on separate computers.

anujpuri85

And don't forget, you always have the option of running WHS2011 on a separate computer. We have a mix of people in these forums; some running WHS2011 standalone and some running it as a VM (Virtual Machine). For example, I have my WHS2011 and Win7 on separate computers.

I take it that's what you prefer/recommend?

jmwills

Oh, I gotchya. Now, would these external drives have to be connected to a "client" computer, like my laptop, for me to be able to add them as a library location, or could I connect them up to my server computer and add them to the library?

Joe_Miner, That helps a lot. I'll look into those videos. Apart from Adobe, do most programs/software that are meant for Windows 7 work for home server?

It would be better if those drives were directly connected to the server.

ikon

I take it that's what you prefer/recommend?

For my situation, yes. But, no, I don't necessarily recommend it for others. It all depends on your own needs. I believe Joe_Miner is running his as a VM and is very happy with it. If you can, what I do recommend is you try it both ways and see how you like it.

One concern I had for you is your use of Photoshop. It might be a problem if you wanted to stream something from WHS2011 at the same time you're trying to work with Photoshop. That could put a pretty big load on your computer and might make either or both perform below what you would like. Photoshop is a pretty heavy duty app, and it likes to have really good video hardware to perform its best. If you run Win7 in a VM, the video provided by the VM might not be as good as Photoshop would like.

BTW, one reason I do use separate computers is because I run Creative Suite 5. I have an AMD HD6970 GPU in my Win7 computer. I want Creative Suite 5 to have full access to that video card.

jmwills

What????????????? My VM's are fakes? Next thing you'll be telling me is that they don;t really exist!

ikon

What????????????? My VM's are fakes? Next thing you'll be telling me is that they don;t really exist!

LMAO :D Like life itself, it's all an illusion....

jmwills

and about perception.....