RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Best Motherboard for Xeon E3 1235

Smiley

I'm building my first WHS 2011. I've never built a server before or used Xeon Processors so I need a little help. I'd like to use the Xeon E3 1235 processors due to what I've read about it and the integrated GPU. Since it's going to be a headless server I don't want to have to install a graphics card unless I have to. I was looking at the Supermicro microATX MB's but all of them state it's not recommended to be used with Xeon CPU's that have integrated GPU's. What might my other options be?

The server will be used for storing backups of home PC's and Mac's, storing pictures, music and movies, it will be used to stream movies to various devices, so trans-coding on the fly will be a requirement. I also plan on running a VM of Windows 7 I'll use for various other tasks. It could be possible that 1-3 machines could be accessing or streaming from the server at a time. Probably won't be doing any gaming from the machine since I really don't have any time to play anymore.

So far this is what I have spec'd out: I'm open to changing things based on advice form others.

Case: Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Tower

PSU:???????

Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Server Memory Model KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G

CPU: Xeon E3 1235

Motherboard:???????

HD OS: 2 x 250GB HDD (Raid 1)

HD Storage: 2 or 3 TB Green Drives (Raid 5)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greg Welch

• ikon

• Smiley

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest no-control

There isn't much size difference between the define R3 and the mini. I would go for the R3.

This has IPMI , for remote bios control

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O LGA 1155 Intel C204 Micro ATX Intel Xeon E3 Server Motherboard

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813182253

SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL+-F Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1155 Intel C202 DDR3 1333

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813182262

has IPMI as well

end of story , these just work and work well

Edit:

these supermicro boards have onboard graphics allowing you to use IPMI to remotelly manage your bios.

you will not have access to the Bios using IPMI while the E3 graphics is active , at least from what i have seen, not sure about being able to turn off E3 graphics

this has been a pain when i wanted to use IPMI and RemoteFX, as i only get to use one or the other,

these supermicro boards have onboard graphics allowing you to use IPMI to remotelly manage your bios.

I guess the question is, do you think the onboard graphics are good enough to handle streaming and on-the-fly transcoding?

I guess the question is, do you think the onboard graphics are good enough to handle streaming and on-the-fly transcoding?

The way i understand it, Transcoding isnt done with the graphics card its done with the cpu and ram,and streaming would also include the network.

Will he see spikes on the cpu cycles? Yes during transcoding,( but thats what a VM is for :) ) ,so you dont effect the main system

and an Xeon E3 and 8GB of 1333 , he will be ok.

p.s. this sounds like a mean little machine

My understanding is that the i series Intel chips (i3, i5) do use the graphics processor for transcoding. And, even if the i series does use the GPU, the Xeon's might not.This is an interesting question: I wonder what the truth is?

Thanks for the feedback guys! Maybe I'll go with the Xeon 1230 without the GPU instead of the 1235 with the GPU.

Looks like I'll end up going with this MB SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O.

I believe Welchworks is right that the CPU and Ram do the transcoding. I have a friend running a Dell server that he streams from using transcoding and I don't believe he has a video card. I'll have to double check with him to confirm.