RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is it time to RMA this mobo?

Guess what? After running flawlessly since last June, my HTPC crapped out. It was working fine last night.

It's the Asus P8H67-M Pro I used in this build.

I removed the mobo from the chassis and put it on my test bench. I checked it over. There doesn't appear to be any discolouration of the underside of the mobo, none of the capacitors appear bloated or show signs of leakage.

I've disconnected everything. It has no RAM, add-in cards, USB devices, nothing except the main 24-pin power plug, the small 4-pin aux power plug, 2 switches for Power and Reset, and a piezo speaker.

It powers up: the mobo LED works and the CPU fan powers up, but that's it - nothing else. It doesn't even beep to say there's a CPU problem or to complain that there's no RAM installed. When I did try it with video, there was nothing displayed.

Does everyone agree it's time to RMA the board or are there suggestions for other things to check?

#ikon #htpc #mobo #rma

I had the same thing happen about two months ago and it turned out to be the CPU. First CPU I ever had failed. Of course most of the hardware was replaced leading to that cause the last place you look. If if make you feel better, I just had my backup server crap out two day ago and it appears to be a motherboard as well. It is a 2 year old P67 board as well. I just ordered a Z77 to replace along with a Fractal case. Figure sense I am taking it apart, I a might as well put in a case with a bit more drive room. Good luck and let us know what the issue was.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought another i5-2500. What the heck, there was too much money in my wallet anyway B)

Will try it out soon and report back.

The new i5 doesn't work either. I'm reading the manual to find out for sure if the mobo is supposed to 'beep' on errors, like when there's no DRAM installed, cause it doesn't.

jmwills

Well, I bit the bullet and bought another i5-2500. What the heck, there was too much money in my wallet anyway B)

Will try it out soon and report back.

Anytime you have the "too much" issue again, please PM me for my PayPal address.

The wife just brought home a new stick of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB RAM. It didn't work either. At this point there's really nothing left to try. I already started the RMA process yesterday, so I'll just let it continue. Now, what to do for an HTPC in the meantime.......

ImTheTypeOfGuy

This will be interesting. Probably turn out to be the floppy drive.... :D

...or the flux capacitor. That will always get you when you least expect it.

Joe_Miner

The wife just brought home a new stick of Corsair XMS3 DDR3 4GB RAM. It didn't work either. At this point there's really nothing left to try. I already started the RMA process yesterday, so I'll just let it continue. Now, what to do for an HTPC in the meantime.......

Time to build a backup!

I had the same thing happen about two months ago and it turned out to be the CPU. First CPU I ever had failed. Of course most of the hardware was replaced leading to that cause the last place you look. If if make you feel better, I just had my backup server crap out two day ago and it appears to be a motherboard as well. It is a 2 year old P67 board as well. I just ordered a Z77 to replace along with a Fractal case. Figure sense I am taking it apart, I a might as well put in a case with a bit more drive room. Good luck and let us know what the issue was.

Good luck on your new build.