RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thinking of building a HTPC but need advice

jakal007

The Tv Tuner comes with an IR-Remote that it says will work with Windows Media Center, do I need to get a separate remote or is this one fine? Also what are the spindle drives ITTOG is talking about for recordings?

The Tv Tuner comes with an IR-Remote that it says will work with Windows Media Center, do I need to get a separate remote or is this one fine? Also what are the spindle drives ITTOG is talking aboutExtra Software:

for recordings?

I wouldn't worry about the remote for now -- you're going to be busy with many other things for awhile -- They are referring to a remote that takes you directly into WMC. Like the remote I got in my first HTPC build. I wasn't that thrilled with it myself and preferred the IOGear Keyboard that I'm using with my 2nd build. Too each his own.

The "spindle drive" ITTOG is referring to you already have listed in the Seagate ST3000DM001 -- he just missed that in your list.

The thing I would add is:

Artic Silver manual for the i5-3450S (3rd Gen i5 Vertical Line)

Artic Silver 5

Artic Silver CAN-60ML (2-PC-Set) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier

The GD05B is a very nice box -- It will seem huge when you get it but once you start putting gear in -- it will seem to shrink down to a postage stamp. Before buying I'd suggest pulling down the manual for the GD05B and the Gigabyte Manual and reading through them.

I don't know about the Cooler Master but when I installed the SeaSonic I had to install some of the cables first so they would fit next to the case fan.

With the GD05B I'd suggest placing your cable ties in the box first before you place the Gigabyte in there -- it gets very tight otherwise.

Edited by Joe_Miner

An i5 for an HTPC? Seems like overkill to me.

As a pure HTPC, I agree. However, I use mine as a living room PC and do some things that need a little more oomph. As always, it depends on the use case.

I perform all of the functions as listed with the exception of the OTA antenna and my i3 runs like a champ, but if the man wants an i5...I say more power to him. Check that, I run a DVR as a virtual machine along with 5 other simultaneous VM;s on an i5 Sandy Bridge. Just have not had time to setup the HD HomeRun in the new house as of yet.

I recommend the HP 5070-2583 Media Center Remote, for several reasons. You can usually find them brand new on eBay very cheap. I bought a few recently for $7/ea shipped. You can also often find them bundled with a USB IR receiver that enables your PC to receive the IR signal from this remote. This remote also supports the ID code feature that permits multiple Media Center devices in the same room (yes- I have 3 Media Center devices in the same room!) See the "Set Remote Control ID" portion of this site that lists various Media Center registry hacks: http://blogs.msdn.co.../29/586961.aspx

I also recommend the IO Gear GKM561R wireless keyboard with trackball, scroll wheel, and Media Center keys.

Long live Media Center! (I'm talkin' to you Windows 8!)

I recommend the HP 5070-2583 Media Center Remote, for several reasons. You can usually find them brand new on eBay very cheap. I bought a few recently for $7/ea shipped. You can also often find them bundled with a USB IR receiver that enables your PC to receive the IR signal from this remote. This remote also supports the ID code feature that permits multiple Media Center devices in the same room (yes- I have 3 Media Center devices in the same room!) See the "Set Remote Control ID" portion of this site that lists various Media Center registry hacks: http://blogs.msdn.co.../29/586961.aspx

I also recommend the IO Gear GKM561R wireless keyboard with trackball, scroll wheel, and Media Center keys.

Long live Media Center! (I'm talkin' to you Windows 8!)

3 in the same room? Dude, you need to send photos to MS :D

An i5 for an HTPC? Seems like overkill to me.

It is as pure playback device but if you add a bunch of tuners and and possibly some stream software, you will appreciate the power.

It is as pure playback device but if you add a bunch of tuners and and possibly some stream software, you will appreciate the power.

Besides that, With a Z77 only a Ivy Bridge will do. :D