RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

cskenney

I am looking for advice on a new smartphone. I have had a Droid Incredible for a couple of years now and it has developed a few problems (like randomly shutting off). I live in a rural area so 4G isn't really a selling point for me at this time. I am wondering what you guys think about the various phones that are offered by Verizon Wireless (they are my carrier today).

Obviously iPhone4S is one option (which is what I believe my wife is asking for).

A friend has the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx and commented that the battery life is incredible.

There is also the Samsung Galaxy Nexus which is popular and has the latest Android OS.

I was thinking about trying to wait to see if Verizon had the Samsung Galaxy III but I don't think I can put it off much longer with the random shutdowns.

Thoughts?????

Dave

How about the latest Incredible? Not the 2nd one but the one they just showed a week or so ago. It's 4G but looked nice. The Maxx looks good as well. Have you tried Craigslist for an older Galaxy phone to get you by for a while? You might find someone that you could talk down and then hang out for the Galaxy III or the unknown Apple handset. If you take the phone to an official Verizon store you can activate it for free. Don't take it to a reseller store. You can also call them to verify the ESN or even have the seller meet you at the store to have it checked out. I offered that on all the phones I sold.

I can also say that it's convenient to have multiple phones on the same marketplace instead of having one on iOS and another on Android.

awraynor

My wife has the Incredible and likes it, but it does get flaky at times. I will do a factory reset and reinstall apps, with the data remaining

intact on the SD card. It helps for a while until it needs it again.

I have a Droid X which is enough to make me swear off any Motorola phone, their software is ugly and slow on my phone. I had the 4S,

but sent it back within a week. The Nexus just doesn't do it for me, poor camera and so so screen. I am interested in their take on the Note

or the Galaxy SIII which is probably the phone to have. You can get a "get me by" phone on Craiglist or EBay for cheap. If I buy local

I make them meet me at the Verizon store so I can make sure it is clean. On EBay I can always refute the charges.

Read the post I am getting ready to do about a phone I just bought to get me by.

Greg Welch

I would wait for a windows 8 phone , but if you cant. i really like my WP7

ikon

I'm seriously looking at the Lumia 900. It's so heavily subsidized at $99 it's hard to resist. Unfortunately, in the US, I think it's only on AT&T at the moment. In Canada I can get it on Rogers for that price.

awraynor

Agree with the WP8 comment. With no guarantee that the Lumia can be upgraded to WP8, it's dead in the water to me.

ikon

I may not be able to wait if the summer trip we're planning goes ahead as planned.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I would avoid the 4s. I am on my 3rd one in two months and getting ready to get it replaced again. Unfortunately it is my only option on Verizon because the droids have problems with exchange.

awraynor

After waiting years for an iPhone I returned my 4S within a week. Nice phone, but surprised how heavy it felt, couldn't stand

the sheets of icons and Siri, but it was smooth. Android, as we know was more customizable, but at times sluggish. The killer

was the screen, if iPhone 5 is the same size I either have to get glasses or stick with Android.

ikon

LOL,I hear you about the glasses part :D

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rob1488993271
      By Rob1488993271
      Here is the full page with a lot more concept content: https://www.behance.net/gallery/24129169/Surface-Phone-Windows-10-Concept

Follow the artist: https://twitter.com/daarksart
    • pointdooly
      By pointdooly
      $0.01 for Nexus 6 via Costco online on a 2 year contract for new customers and upgrades.

It even comes with
      - Nexus 6 Phone(Black 32GB)
      - FREE Bluetooth headset
      - FREE Accessory Bonus Pack** including a dock and car charger
        (**Contents of bonus pack vary by device. Also available in warehouse.)
      - Only for Verizon for this deal.

Yes, you need a Costco Membership for this deal.
      I do really wish I could get this deal with different carrier(AT&T). I already tried my AT&T representative - they can't match.
      Yes, the price is too extremely low to match.

Hope it helps, specially Dave who is still on Verizon, right?

• dvn
      By dvn
      At the end of Meetup 2013 on Saturday (yesterday), we all trundled over to the Microsoft Store and a few of the guys picked up some $99 no-contract Lumia 520 phones, and at least one person picked up the Lumia 1020. I wisely picked up a Lumia 928 for $0 and received a $50 gift card which I then put down on a wireless charger, essentially getting both for free with a 2-yr Verizon contract. Sweet phone. Sweet deal. Plenty of slaps on the back from my compadres. Life = good.

I fully charged it overnight. At 7 am this morning, I pulled the phone from the charger, and jumped on a jet headed back to Maine. The phone was off part of the time (probably 45 minutes total) and in airplane mode for ~3 hours. By the time I arrived home the battery level was at < 10%. We're talking 7+ hours of on time where 3 hours of that saw the transceiver shut off. You'd think...

In any case, we're sure not talking a full day+, or anything close to what I was hoping/expecting to see for battery life. So now I'm in a wee bit of a panic.

I did see that the phone had an update. GDR2? In any event, the OS version is now at 8.0.10327.77.

I'm resisting an urge to run down to the Verizon store and tear up the contract, maybe stamp my feet and carry on if necessary. I'm kinda tired and I could easily see me doing that

But, I'll hold off until it's fully charged again and give it another go tomorrow. If the battery life doesn't exceed that of my tired ol' GS2 which it currently is not, it's off to the Verizon store.

Ok. So there's that. Now for the head scratching stuff. There's no offical Dropbox app. Yes, I know. Skydrive. But I use Dropbox, and I want an official app. There's some snafu going on here between Nokia and Dropbox, I think, but the details don't matter to me. I wants it and I wants it now. *stomps feet*  Or I'll settle for a decent alternative suggestion?

Then there's G+ Hangouts. There's no official app for that? What? Can I even do a Hangout on the 928? Still looking into that.

There's no Chromecast app. Chromecast does require a phone app (or tablet app) to run it. So...

People, I'm telling ya, if battery life post-update doesn't really wow me, this lovely piece of technology is going back.

I'm hoping I've missed a bunch of things because the phone seems snappy and the screen is fairly beautiful. The camera and some of the included apps are pretty nice.

Lines are open... haha....  (translation: 'H-hhhhhhhhhelppppppp!')  
    • Dave
      By Dave
      I'm putting my iPhone 4 up on the market. It's a Verizon 16GB version. It's free and clear of a contract so all you have to do is walk into a Verizon store and get an account. Includes original box, charger, cable, and earbuds. It's about 6 months old and still under warranty.

Glass is perfect. Zero scratches or scuffs. The stainless steel band around the phone does have some scuffing due to removing the bumper case.

I'm only considering the sale to individuals I know here on the boards. You pay shipping to your location. $350. I have it listed on craigslist for more than this. Local pickup also allowed.

PM me if you are interested.

Dave