RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home server virgin

Fish99

Hi all. Over the last week or so I have been streaming movies from my pc to my Xbox using windows media centre. This got me thinking how nice it would be to have my DVD collection on

a server of some description which I could stream to any of my 4 tv's using either xbox's or other pc's.

I have built my own gaming rigs in the past and have tried to use quickish components, processors (i7) hard drives ( none of this raid business ) plenty of memory and a decent graphics card ... Currently ati 5870xxx but due for an upgrade.

As my knowledge of home servers is non existent I was wondering what CPU and components would be more than capable of handling my requirements. I would like it be able to handle streaming of DVDs / ripped movies to maybe 3 tv's at once and just to be used as general backup of files from my 1 desktop pc and 2 laptops.

I have wired cat5e cable to my router which connects my desktop pc and media centre extenders ( Xbox 360's ) so I get better performance steaming.

Many thanks in advance

Neil

I hope this makes sense..

I have an atom D510 that is more than up to the job, but most of the people in here will tell you to go Core i3 or higher. I have NO problems with my atom, but would probably go Core i3 or 5 on a next build to give it a little more power.

Hi all. Over the last week or so I have been streaming movies from my pc to my Xbox using windows media centre. This got me thinking how nice it would be to have my DVD collection on

a server of some description which I could stream to any of my 4 tv's using either xbox's or other pc's.

I have built my own gaming rigs in the past and have tried to use quickish components, processors (i7) hard drives ( none of this raid business ) plenty of memory and a decent graphics card ... Currently ati 5870xxx but due for an upgrade.

As my knowledge of home servers is non existent I was wondering what CPU and components would be more than capable of handling my requirements. I would like it be able to handle streaming of DVDs / ripped movies to maybe 3 tv's at once and just to be used as general backup of files from my 1 desktop pc and 2 laptops.

I have wired cat5e cable to my router which connects my desktop pc and media centre extenders ( Xbox 360's ) so I get better performance steaming.

Many thanks in advance

Neil

I hope this makes sense..

Welcome to the forums Fish99. Basic streaming has more to do with I/O and network performance than just CPU. That said, I would not use anything less than an I3 as in the future you might want to add the capabilities to stream to your mobile device(s) and transcoding takes a bit more CPU power. I ran my servers from an I3 for a long time but I have recently upgraded to I5's as I am beginning to demand more and more from the server as we all move to central storage. As you add more things such streaming/transcoding, ripping, MyMovies, cloud storage, etc., you begin to task you CPU. The I3 will handle it but if you want a bit more future proofing, consider a low end I5 quad core if you are building from scratch. Just my two cents...

I would like it be able to handle streaming of DVDs / ripped movies to maybe 3 tv's at once...

I think statement right there rules out anything less than an i3.

I/O is more tied to processing power than folks tend to realize. Three concurrent streams would drown an atom, so to speak. :o

Since you also said DVD, and not blu-ray, you should be OK going without RAID - IMO. But that's open to debate.

Me? I'd probably be looking at a 3rd gen i-series chip just because it'd be more powerful and cooler running than either of the prior two gens. I'd load a few movies onto the server and do a test streaming the 3 movies at once and see how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Good point Rich. I have had 4 BD streams, and two DVD's at the same time as well as 5 BD steams and both worked fine on my I3 with raid with no other tasks running. The CPU was working but not maxed out. Start adding a couple of addins and you have a different thing.Things do run smoother however with the I5's and it does not strain as much.

Thanks the welcome and replies guys. I was thinking of either an i5 or i7. Now you have thrown in another idea of the blu ray. Mmm that sounds like a pretty good idea.

You must forgive my lack of knowledge when it comes to all things raid. I have never felt the need to use it on my gaming machines. I have read through the forums a bit and a lot of people have mentioned that they use Raid 5. Is that something which is difficult to set up ?.

Thanks again for the reply guys. Really interesting this server stuff

I do also have an old i7 920 laying around with An old motherboard.. Asus p6td. I do like the board but the only thing it doesn't support is 6gb/sec sata. Would this old CPU be ok to use? Or would you put something else in.

Guest no-control

the x58 platform is more than capable but realize its overkill, requires a discrete GPU, will consume more power, and put out more heat. But otherwise it will handle what you want without a problem. The SATAIII isn't really an issue.

RAID 5 is very simple to setup. You will need a RAID card such as the RocketRaid 2680 or the 2720 and a minimum of 3 HDDs.

Welcome to the forums.

I concur with everything stated already. RAID5 is indeed quite easy to set up these days. A common practice among people in these forums is to use 2 small-ish drives (250G) for the OS and use the onboard firmware to mirror them in RAID1. Then you have an add-in card to provide RAID5 for the large data pool you create using 2TB or 3TB drives.

I would also like to mention that a number of members, including me, have found it's better to have all your network connections go through a single Ethernet switch. In my case I had 3 switches connecting everything together and had all kinds of stuttering, especially on blu-rays.

Sounds like some good ideas coming out. A Raid 1 and Raid 5 combination does sound like a good combination. I will look into switches as at the moment mine is just a virgin media wifi hub with only 5 ports. Would like to ditch that for something more fitting.

I dont think Ill use that i7 cpu.. I think ill go for the 3rd gen i5 as they seem to be adequate for what I need. Does anyone have any recommendations for motheboards and disk drives?.. what sort of power psu do you guys go for?.. I take it you dont need a 1000W jobby like I have in my gaming machines.

Im not really fussed about having a small case as the server will be going into a dedicated cupboard with plenty of airflow

Cheers for all the replies guys, really appreciated

Neil

Edited by Fish99