RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ruvil

N40L and 3TB disks?

Fearchar

I wasn't sure. What I got was that he's planning to boot FreeNAS, so I wasn't sure he'd gotten that far yet. He seemed to be stuck at the BIOS boot stage.

Except he also said, "the 250GB HDD that came with it (sorry i previously said I purchased with no HDDs) boots from the onboard controller fine."

Thanks guys for all the suggestions....Checked the connections this arvo, booted it up the drives are now recognised by the onboard ctr now. FreeNAS sees them so I can create my disk pools.

I dont think I had the miniSAS connected correctly....

The adaptec ctr is the problem not being compatible with the HDDs...poor descision on my part...dbl check compatability is the lesson.

I was hoping to use HW RAID but I can work with ZFS, just have to decide the best way to set up the pools and datasets.

Many thanks for all you assitance.

cheers,

Andrew

ikon

cskenny to the rescue :) Glad you got it working.

Louie

I have four seagate 3TB drives in my N40L all humming along nicely, although I'm going to have to look at a hotway RAID enclosure early next year as I've only got just over a TB of space left already and I've only had the box a couple of months. :)

What OS are you running on your N40L for all 3TB to be working correct? I don't know if it's an issue or if I'm doing something wrong. I posted a new thread yesterday asking for help on explaining what i'm doing wrong. Was wondering if you might be able to help me with this.. I plan on adding more 3TB to machine for a total of 12TB.. But first I have to understand how to configure the first one. 

Here's the post. 

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8697-n40l-3tb-drive-problem/

Edited by Louie

ikon

Louie, I believe you said you're running Hyper-V Core, correct?

Louie

Yes it's running hyper-v core 2012 r2 . 

ikon

Yeah, I don't think many people here are, or even have, run Hyper-V Core. I don't know if there's something about Core that causes it to report the 300GB drive incorrectly, but it seems unlikely. After all, it's DISKPART. Is it at all possible that the 300GB drive really is a 3TB drive? What's the model # of it?

Louie

I have the N40L one. I hope that's the case we will see when I start adding files and VM's to them. 

Louie

I guess I will take my chance to believe it's reading it wrong. Hopefully down the road I don't get a message saying disk space running low...