RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ruvil

N40L and 3TB disks?

jmwills

Do you have a copy of Windows Server you could load in order to rule out the other platform?

Fearchar

Have you tried connecting the drives to the Adaptec to rule out a cable issue?

yes I have, one drive was visible for a while but on a reboot it greyed out as well.

the 250GB HDD that came with it (sorry i previously said I purchased with no HDDs) boots from the onboard controller fine.

I will try using the 250GB again off both ctrs with different cables...I think it is the drives just not wanting to work with my setup.

cheers,

Andrew

So, in its stock mode, the N40L cannot see the drives at all? Have you searched these forums? What about this post/thread: http://homeserversho...sks/#entry40681?

correct...Yes I saw the post you mentioned..I didnt think it wasn't an issue at the time as I was planning to use the adaptec ctr not the onboard.

I will investigate that option now.

Cheers,

Andrew

Do you have a copy of Windows Server you could load in order to rule out the other platform?

It is definately a HW issue (well firmware really or simple incompatability) as the HDDs are not being "correctly" recognised by either the RAID ctr or onboard SATA ctr.

Hi Jamr!

Personally, I think the three drives you highlighted are all good drives and would work well in a N40L with WHS-2011 with DrivePool. My preference was, and still is, for the ST3000DM001's because they are FAST and they've been very reliable for me. I wouldn't pay the $149 price though -- just recently the ST3000DM001's were at $119 w/free shipping and earlier this week the WD Red's were on special for $119 also with free shipping. Over the next month or two I expect their prices will be low again and I wouldn't be surprised to see the ST3000DM001's dipping below $119 soon. If you NEED a very quiet machine plus marginally better energy efficiency go with the RED's; If you NEED marginally better energy efficiency go with the Greens, and If you want blow your hair back speed go with the ST3000DM001. They are all three pretty reliable IMHO. My 2 cents.

What firmware revision are your ST3000DM001 drives?

I have 4 and cannot get working off an Adaptec 3405 or the onboard SATA ctr.

Cheers,

Andrew

Joe_Miner

-snip-

What firmware revision are your ST3000DM001 drives?

I have 4 and cannot get working off an Adaptec 3405 or the onboard SATA ctr.

Cheers,

Andrew

JMWills has a good point, IMHO.

The firmware of your ST3000DM001’s is not the issue. I have 13 ST3000DM001’s that I’ve purchased 1 or 2 at a time in the last 1+ year and they all work without issue in my MicroServer’s (I’ve since moved 3 to my Z77 as my signature indicates) with every MS OS from S2008R2 thru the Colorado family and on up to S2012 and its variants. I’ve also passed them thru Hyper-v without issue to MS OS’s (I've got pictures posted somewhere of my performance comparisons of Hyper-V pass-thru's). At this very moment I have 5 in each microserver – one running WHS2011 and the other running S2012E. I’ve also run WD 3TB greens and my only WD 3TB red in them in the past without issue.

The ST3000DM001 is boringly reliable and FAST -- which I like very much.

ikon

I don't think it's been mentioned: have you tried booting the N40L with the 250GB drive in Slot 0 and a 3TB drive in another slot?

Joe_Miner

I don't think it's been mentioned: have you tried booting the N40L with the 250GB drive in Slot 0 and a 3TB drive in another slot?

Good catch Ikon -- I never thought to think he may be trying to boot off of a 3TB -- that "ain't gonna work" in our MicroServers!

ikon

Good catch Ikon -- I never thought to think he may be trying to boot off of a 3TB -- that "ain't gonna work" in our MicroServers!

For sure. BTW, the N40L I set up for my relative's business is chugging along just fine.

Joe_Miner

For sure. BTW, the N40L I set up for my relative's business is chugging along just fine.

I just know you're itching to get a N54L, load it with 16GB RAM, add a USB 3.0 card and an extra NIC for VM's and Play Play Play :)

cskenney

I thought he said he was booting FreeNAS off a USB stick.

... I planned to boot FreeNAS 8.3.0 (p1) from the internal USB port.

So are we booting off a hard drive or off the USB port?

When I connect the miniSAS connector from the backplane back to the onboard SATA CTR the drives are not detected by the system bios.

If I understand this correctly then this is the "stock" configuration? No drive detected? Isn't this likely a problem with the miniSAS connector? Others have had problems where they have damaged the connector.

ikon

I thought he said he was booting FreeNAS off a USB stick.

I wasn't sure. What I got was that he's planning to boot FreeNAS, so I wasn't sure he'd gotten that far yet. He seemed to be stuck at the BIOS boot stage.

If I understand this correctly then this is the "stock" configuration? No drive detected? Isn't this likely a problem with the miniSAS connector? Others have had problems where they have damaged the connector.

Except he also said, "the 250GB HDD that came with it (sorry i previously said I purchased with no HDDs) boots from the onboard controller fine."