RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ruvil

N40L and 3TB disks?

ikon

So should the rest of us. My only excuse is I'm old :(

g725s

Yeah I'm going to keep my eye out for a good deal on some 4tb drives for this little box. I also am considering Flexraid, as as the poster above using the 4tb drives states he is also using Flesraid.

jmwills

For just a little bit more money, and yes i am as good as my wife as spending others money, you could get 2x3TB drives and create and RAID 1 mirror.

zimscubasteve

Hi,

Do you happen to have a guide for the hacking required to get a 3TB drive to work with WHS v1?

I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers,

Steve

LoneWolf

I'm using an external 3TB drive for backup. I would have bought a 4TB but it was around $100 more for that extra terabyte. I can wait until the price comes down and I really need that extra TB.

Fearchar

Hey Guys,

I purchased a N40L (no HDDS or optical 2GB RAM) before Xmas and have been reading up to decide the best way to deploy as a NAS server.

I puchased an Adaptec 3405 SAS/SATA RAID CTR and 4 x 3TB Seagate Barrucuda 7200.7 SATA HDDs (ST3000DM001) and I planned to boot FreeNAS 8.3.0 (p1) from the internal USB port. I have also installed an ODD.

The Adaptec RAID has the latest firmware (17342) which support 3TB HDDs, the Drive firmware version is CC24 which appears to be the most recent.

FreeNAS boots fine however.

The drives are detected by the RAID CTR but cannot be initilised "greyed out", so cannot build a RAID

When I connect the miniSAS connector from the backplane back to the onboard SATA CTR the drives are not detected by the system bios.

I was considering either offloading or repurposing the 4x3TB drives and get 4x2TB HDDs from WD that WILL work with the 3405 ctr or just get the 3TB drives going using the onboard ctr (hopefully bios update will fix) and using ZFS RAID in FreeNAS.

Any suggestions guys?

Have I missed anything?

Cheers,

Andrew

schoondoggy

Have you tried connecting the drives to the Adaptec to rule out a cable issue?