RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Greg Welch

Is your Crash Plan Crashing ?

geek-accountant

Thanks for posting this Greg. I was having issues also and this solution has fixed them. I am backing up 1.5TB to Crashplan and it would only run for about 2 minutes before crashing. Been running for 30 minutes now without a problem. I also set mine to 4096.

ikon

I fear that isn't the case though because if it were, we wouldn't of had to increase it in the first place. I look forward to seeing how hey respond to my email.

The way I read it, CP will only use what it needs, up to the limit specified in the INI file. However, if the limit is too low to start with, then it will use up to that amount, but isn't allowed to exceed it, so it crashes.

So, if the limit is set to 512 MB, and CP needs 1.7 MB, it will crash because it's not allowed to use more than 512 MB.

However, if the limit is set to 4096 MB, and CP needs 1.7 MB, it will not crash, and it will still only use 1.7 MB, cause that's all it needs.

Personally, I think this kind of programming is a bit antiquated, but it is what it is.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

The way I read it, CP will only use what it needs, up to the limit specified in the INI file. However, if the limit is too low to start with, then it will use up to that amount, but isn't allowed to exceed it, so it crashes.

So, if the limit is set to 512 MB, and CP needs 1.7 MB, it will crash because it's not allowed to use more than 512 MB.

However, if the limit is set to 4096 MB, and CP needs 1.7 MB, it will not crash, and it will still only use 1.7 MB, cause that's all it needs.

Personally, I think this kind of programming is a bit antiquated, but it is what it is.

What you state is correct but why would it work for a year, or longer with the max set at 512 and now it all of a sudden needs more? Why is the requirement building is my question?

ikon

The obvious answer is that there are more files, or perhaps something else has changed, and CP has to keep track of more info, so it needs more RAM. It's also possible that updates to CP have made it need more RAM. Or, possibly, updates to Java have made it necessary for CP to use more.

I think the first option is most likely, since we all tend to accumulate more & more files, but the last one also seems pretty plausible since there are very frequent updates to Java.

That's all speculation of course; we may never know the exact reason.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I think you pretty much nailed it. Below is their response. The problem with this is at some point, even if you have the space available, CrashPlan will max out on memory and you will not be able to use it as a backup service any longer. That seems like a poor design to me.

The amount of memory consumed is based on the size of your backup selection and your frequency of backups. If your file selection does not grow too much, the memory requirements should remain rather static.

ikon

It's possible but, if you put in 16GB or RAM (or more), you could allocate 8GB to CP. That would allow for an pretty huge collection of files. If you're not running CP constantly, then it shouldn't be too much of a problem. 'Course, with the advent of Win8, if they update CP to Metro, you could allocate a ton of RAM and it wouldn't matter much cause the OS would reclaim the RAM when CP is not actually running (at least I think that's how Win8 is going to do it).

dvn

Well isn't this just great. I am getting ready to implement CrashPlan on my daughter's server to back up her photo collection to my server. I don't think it's much more than 10 GB at this point. Am I going to run into this problem? Or is 10 GB such a low number that I'm safe?

I ask because I believe her WHS v1 server only has 2GB (maybe 4) RAM. What do you guys know?

geek-accountant

I don't think so Rich. That small of photo collection should not cause issues with the base settings. I am backing up 1.6TB of data and only recently had the issue. If you want to be safe, just change the setting to something like 1024 for her.

BTW, is 10GB of photos a "collection" or just part of one memory card from an afternoon shoot? :)

ikon

My suspicion is that it has more to do with the number of files than the amount of data per se.

dvn
I don't think so Rich. That small of photo collection should not cause issues with the base settings. I am backing up 1.6TB of data and only recently had the issue. If you want to be safe, just change the setting to something like 1024 for her.

Thanks Mike. I'll try that.

BTW, is 10GB of photos a "collection" or just part of one memory card from an afternoon shoot? :)

Haha. JPEG only. She shoots everything from her iPhone 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2