RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS v1 Server reinstall issues

krom

Hi Guys, I'm having an issue with my v1 server.

My system crashed (I think my system drive is going flaky) and I had to do a reinstall on it which worked. However I have an addin SATA card which gave me 4 more SATA ports that Windows didn't recognize on the reinstall. No problem I thought, I'll just install the drivers and should be good. Unfortunately after I installed the drivers the four drives all came up as "not added" on the server drive tab of the WHS console. I couldn't add or repair the drives just remove them.

At this point I figured I'd try the reinstall again and see if I could get the driver for the SATA card installed prior to the installation. The install wizard did provide a spot to install drives and I pointed to the SATA card driver and that worked. I was able to see the four drives attached to this SATA card prior to installing the OS. I thought I was golden from here. Well that wasn't the case. During the install I got an error that a file was corrupt and the install failed. All I could do was reboot and run through the process again, which I did. This time, though, I only got the option to do a new installation. No server reinstall.

Is there anyway for me to recover from this and get a reinstall option? I really just want to get this sucker back up so I can start migrating my data off. Worst case scenario I'll have to pull each drive out and grab the files from the DATA directories but I'm guessing that's going to be a pain with the files scattered across a bunch of hard drives. Any thoughts? Thanks.

I would say to pull them and copy the data to be on the safe side. You don't want to monkey around and corrupt the pool. But others may have a sneaky way to get you back up and running. I personally have never had to comeback from that issue when I ran V1. GL

When you say 'reinstall' do you mean a 'fresh install' or a 'recovery'? AFAIK, if you do a fresh install there is no way to keep your Data Pool intact - the system is going to treat all drives as new and it will want to format them.

Very odd. It should have let you install the drivers, and recognized the drives right away. I've done that more than a few times (looking at you SIL3132) with absolutely no issue.

As for the reinstall options.... it can be flaky, and it's very likely that the wizard is reading the drives on the controller card as the first disk in the system, and therefore *not* giving you the reinstallation option.

Just FYI, the first reinstall, did it show the other disks as missing at all, before adding the drivers? If so, then it lost track of the disks, and it is possible to fix that with a lot of registry hacking... but it may be easier to just "copy" the files over.

As for manually copying the files back into the pool, there should be a "shares" and "folder" file in a hidden "DE" folder in the root of each drive. You can copy the contents into the corresponding directories on your server, without issue.

Very odd. It should have let you install the drivers, and recognized the drives right away. I've done that more than a few times (looking at you SIL3132) with absolutely no issue.

That's why I asked what kind of install. I've done this too using a Recovery install. Are you saying it can be done with a Fresh (Factory) install too? That would be interesting.

@ikon I did a server recovery, meaning it kept my shares intact.

@Drashna It did list the disks as missing the first time before installing the driver. Once I installed the driver it listed them as "not added" but only gave me the option to remove them.

I guess I'll have to accelerate my 2011 build because I don't have anywhere else to put 8TB of data right now.

That' too bad krom. I did that several times with WHSv1 without issue. I guess you found that pot of bad luck I always seem to be dipping into.