RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
WireBoy

Walmart B&M- WD My Book Essential 3TB- $135

WireBoy

I noticed that the Western Digital 3TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 external hard drive is marked down to $135 in my local brick and mortar Walmart store. Nice for offsite server backups.

I picked up two to use for rotating/alternating backup of my HP X510 (WHS Version 1) server, i.e. cycle one drive offsite every other week. I manually trigger a server backup every weekend. Now if someone can understand and explain how/if the WHS V1 server backup function will deal with this alternating drive backup scheme. Surely somebody has written a post- I haven't yet found it.

Edited by WireBoy

ikon

I noticed that the Western Digital 3TB My Book Essential USB 3.0 external hard drive is marked down to $135 in my local brick and mortar Walmart store. Nice for offsite server backups.

I picked up two to use for rotating/alternating backup of my HP X510 (WHS Version 1) server, i.e. cycle one drive offsite every other week. I manually trigger a server backup every weekend. Now if someone can understand and explain how/if the WHS V1 server backup function will deal with this alternating drive backup scheme. Surely somebody has written a post- I haven't yet found it.

Which "server backup" function are you referring to? If you're talking about backing up the WHS system drive, you simply can't do that. Because of the way Drive Extender works, it's impossible to make usable backups of WHSv1 OS drives.

WireBoy

Which "server backup" function are you referring to? If you're talking about backing up the WHS system drive, you simply can't do that. Because of the way Drive Extender works, it's impossible to make usable backups of WHSv1 OS drives.

The server backup function that I'm referring to is triggered from the "Computers & Backup" console tab, selecting the server from the list of computers, and clicking the "Backup Now" button. I then select the attached external drive as the backup destination. I had previously used the WHS "Add a Hard Drive Wizard" to designate that drive as a backup drive. I'm primarily using this process to create an offsite backup of my critical data files.

To "backup" my WHS system drive, i.e. the boot drive, I'm using an Icy Dock MB982SPR-2S dual 2.5" SATA drive enclosure, with two Western Digital 500GB AV-25 series drives, configured in a RAID 1 mirror, for operational continuity should one of those drives fail.

Edited by WireBoy

ikon

Gotchya. So it's a backup of the data on the server. Mirroring WHSv1 OS drives makes a not of sense. Unfortunately, a lot of headless servers make that very difficult or impossible, at least without a lot of custom hacking of the box.

Dave

Seems like a good price. 3TB and USB 3.0. $199 at newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136749

I was wondering what drive was inside and one of the reviews at the egg said it was the wd30ezrx which goes for $180. Haven't we discussed some power down issues with this green drive?

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I think we have discussed issues on all of the WD green drives.

Dave

I looked at my local store today and they didn't have them. Bummer....

cskenney

Same in my area....

WireBoy

Same in my area....

I went back today to pick up some early Christmas gifts for you guys, but alas, the shelf was empty. It's the thought that counts, right?

ikon

I went back today to pick up some early Christmas gifts for you guys, but alas, the shelf was empty. It's the thought that counts, right?

Indeed! The same as they were out of the gift I was going to get you. Time for mutually exchanged virtual 'thank you's' :D