RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
GregHB

Error message - cannot copy <file name>: the device is not connected

GregHB

When I try to access and/or copy some of the files that I've recently added to my WHSv1, I receive the following error message: cannot copy <file name>: the device is not connected. This occurs when I try to copy to a different folder w/in the same drive, to a flash drive, DVD-RW, another computer or just trying to open the file.

I have tried Robocopy / Rich Copy GUI, SyncToy 2.x and receive the same error messages.

Any ideas on how I can recover these family photos and home videos? I had thought that perhaps physically removing the drive and connecting it to a new WHSv1 install may work, but wasn't sure if I'd encounter the same issue or accidentally delete all content.

I have a previous back-up to an external drive which may have some of the data, so it might not be a total loss, but sure would be nice to have the recent pictures of our son playing sports, school activities, Halloween, etc.

edit: It looks like I can view the cached image via Picasa. However, if I try to access the image via Picasa and not just the thumbnail, the image becomes unavailable and the thumbnail grays-out....*sigh*.

While I've been working on this for the last few hours today & last night, and it seems like forever, I'm sure there's something out there that I haven't stumbled upon or thought to look for. I'm open to ideas.

Many thanks in advance.

- Greg

Edited by GregHB

ikon

If the drive in question is part of the Data Pool, I would advise against trying to connect the drive to another WHS. If you try to add it to the Drive Pool of a 2nd WHS, that WHS will want to format the drive in order to add it to the pool. Not good.

It sounds like you have some corruption. It may only be the directory table that's corrupted. My first instinct is to suggest running CHKDSK on that drive. But, if it is part of the Data Pool, I'm going to advise against it until someone else can chime in to say whether it's safe to do that. If the drive is not part of the Data Pool then, by all means, run CHKDSK on it.

One thing you can do, whether or not the drive is part of the pool, is run SpinRite on it. The only thing is that SpinRite fixes sector errors, not file system errors. At this point, I'm more suspicious you have file system errors. If you do run SpinRite, shut down the WHS, remove the suspect drive and attach it to another computer for the process and absolutely do NOT turn the WHS back on until that drive has been reinstalled.

Something you might try, if you haven't already, is just reboot the system. If there are directory table errors, Windows may automatically run CHKDSK on bootup. Of course, it would help if your WHS computer has a monitor, so you can watch the bootup process.

GregHB

I tried to copy an image file from the WHS to my Windows 7 tower and received the following error message - "error 0x8007048F: The Device is Not Connected". From what I've seen in regard to that error, a Check Disk routine has been added to my next reboot for the C:\ Drive. If that doesn't work, I'll add that command to the next reboot for the D:\ Drive.

When I connected the external back-up disk, WHS recognized that there was new hardware, but when I clicked on the drive letter, Windows informed me that I needed to insert a disc. Will try the external drive on my Windows 7 tower & laptop to see if the drive is accessible via those devices.

Edit --- Ikon - Thanks for the reply. It must have come in while I was typing my update. I'll check-out SpinRite.

Thanks,

- Greg

Edited by GregHB

ikon

OK, the CHKDSK is making even more sense. And, from the symptoms you described for your external drive, it really sounds like you need to do a reboot.

jmwills

And if that error continues.....wait for it.....SpinRite may be in order.

GregHB

Thanks, guys. It looks like SpinRite is in my future. *fingers crossed*

GregHB

2 more hours until the SpinRite process finishes running its course. Thanks for the recommendations, options and explanations. VERY much appreciated. Here's hoping that the data can be recovered in the morning.

GregHB

SpinRite worked. Am currently backing up the recovered files. Thank you, so very, very much!! I was not looking forward to telling my wife that the last year-or-so of pictures and videos had been lost.

ikon

Congratulations! Glad you got it working. Good plan getting the data off as quickly as possible. You can trash that drive, or you could run it through SpinRite again, on Level 4 this time. If it passes, I would consider the drive usable in production (I've done this many, many times over the years).

Now, I presume you're aware that you dodged a bullet, that your backup strategy is a bit inadequate. Best practices say you should have at least 3 copies of all important data. They should be on 2 different kinds of media (although I don't follow this rule), and one of the copies should be offsite (I actually have 2 sets of offsite drives that I rotate). In total I personally have 4 copies of all my data, 5 if you count both sets of offsite backup.

I would like to suggest you send feedback to Steve Gibson (the author of SpinRite) - he loves to hear success stories. You can send it to http://grc.com/feedback.